Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Writing Confession: It's in the Details

Details are really important to me.

I've interrupted writing sprees to research the little things, all to construct realistic scenes of places I've never seen, traditions I've never practiced, clothing and accessories I've never worn. Some people may think it's a time waster, but I believe these details will help me create a believable setting for my manuscript. This may seem inconsequential in the big scheme of things, when we need to focus on dialogue, plot and character arc, not to mention writing a unique story that will appeal to agents, publishers and readers.

Oh, the pressure!

But, let us not forget the details. You will add life to your pages, you will set your story apart from the masses, if you remember to capture the details.

6 comments:

Lisa Marie Miles said...

Great tip! I tend to get nervous writing about things I don't know about. I always think even if I Google it, I'll still sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Christine Marciniak said...

The internet makes things so easy to research - and yes, I try to make sure I get all the little details right. Especially when writing about a historical period (I even check to see if an expression was in use at the time)

Solvang Sherrie said...

I can lose whole days researching the details. It only it wasn't so much fun :)

Taryn Tyler said...

Details are always important and I love researching them . . . but sometimes I get a little too distracted with research and have to come back and just write.

Beth Kephart said...

I seem to be relearning how to write every single day.

it
never
gets
easier

but details. Details. I KNOW they count.

PJ Hoover said...

And you are so good with the details! I do love doing the little bits of research while writing!