Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 17: Mapping Out Writing Time: Not Fitting In

Today is a half-day of school and it figures I will be without Sophie, my ten-year-old car. Sophie has been working hard to keep us safe. It's time to bring her in to get some work done.

Spy Girl isn't too happy Sophie won't be with us. A bunch of 5th grade girls made plans to go into the center of town, have lunch and shop. Spy Girl wasn't included and she wants Sophie to whisk her away to the movie theater or someplace else where she won't have to run into her friends. I find this so strange since all these girls are coming to Spy Girl's birthday party this weekend.

I'm trying to be cool about the whole thing, but of course I'm a little upset since I don't want to see my child left out. More importantly, I don't want to feed into her disappointment and make her think this is horrible. However, I'm also relieved--I'm not ready to have my just-turned-eleven-year-old walk around town, unsupervised, in the midst of middle schoolers and high schoolers who will be hanging around, enjoying the half-day off from school.

It'll be interesting to see what happens this morning at school, if new plans are made for this afternoon...

Write-a-Scene Writing Prompt: There will be times when your protagonist won't feel like part of a group. Write a scene where your MC doesn't fit in. Is it her choice? Does it bother him? Describe the situation and the other players. Dig deep to find the motivating factor.

Don't be afraid to let your inner teen out and reveal insecurities. Remember to show the emotion and conflict! Be brave!

10 comments:

Christine M said...

Sometimes I think kids that age aren't very far thinking. If the person isn't directly in front of them when making plans, they don't think to include the person. So hopefully it isn't a situation of being excluded as much as it is she wasn't physically present when they made the plans. An out of sight, out of mind kind of thing.

And I'd be hesitant about a bunch of 5th graders wandering around as well.

PJ Hoover said...

I'd be really hesitant on the 5th graders wandering around. Though it hurts, consider her the fortunate one.

Vivian said...

Thanks, Chris and PJ. I was worried I was veering on the overprotective side, but am relieved you would be hesitant about this, too.

beckylevine.wordpress.com said...

I've been thinking a lot about this--how problems that tweens/teens have look so big, so insurmountable to them, and our solutions just aren't solutions they can accept/use. Our knowing that things will get better or there's a way around something doesn't even dent their feelings about how important/big it is.

She'll be okay. It's just so hard. :)

Kelly H-Y said...

I'd consider it a blessing that your car isn't available :-) ... 5th grade girls walking around alone ... no way!

Vivian said...

Becky,
You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for saying this so well.

Thanks Kelly. It is crazy, isn't it? Things turned out okay, though. One of Spy Girl's friends came over later. I dread the next half-day.

sheila said...

Ick. I hated this aspect of school. All that angst. Now I save my angst for the dentist...

It's horrible watching from the sidelines, isn't it? My daughter had a formerly good friend drop her a while back, because this friend was 18 months older and no longer felt cool hanging out with my girl. Crushed her to pieces. Crushed me to pieces. But it's true, we do get over these things. They make us what we will one day be.

Hopefully these experiences will make them compassionate and kind adults.

And count me in the She's Too Young camp. For sure.

Liz in Ink said...

I think this is really going to be one of our tests, as mothers of adolescents and teens -- to let them feel the feelings without fixing them. But it is hard when our own memories are so visceral...

Sigh...

Feeling it with you, Vivian...

Saints and Spinners said...

On a different note, I'm glad your car has a name. Our car is named Pandora, though I realize I've never actually told my daughter that.

Being left out breeds great experience for writing stories, but it is no fun to experience. [/understatement]

P.S. The deleted comment was mine. There was a typo.

Vivian said...

Alkelda,
My kids love Sophie. Thankfully, she'll last a little longer. She needed a new muffler, tailpipe and harness. Sigh.

I've taken care of the deleted comment. No worries.

Thanks.

Liz,
You know it. It's tough to watch this, I can't imagine what torture I'll have to deal with as the years go by...

And btw, congrats on All The World as a selection for the Cheerios box! Everyone, help vote over here!

Sheila,
You're right. Just wish there was an easy way for us to let our kids know it isn't the end of the world, without them thinking we're total numbskulls. Thanks!