Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

National Book Festival 2009: Saturday, September 26th

If you're in the Washington, D.C. area this weekend, go and check out the National Book Festival. It will be held on the National Mall--Saturday, September 26th from 10am - 5:30pm and is slated to feature over 70 best-selling writers, illustrators and poets.

The event is free and open to the public.

New this year, the Library is bringing the festival direct to mobile phone users with their first-ever mobile campaign. By texting ‘BOOK’ to 61399, mobile phone users can opt-in to receive the latest festival announcements as well as author presentations and signing schedules. NOTE: Standard Messaging Rates may apply.

Festival fans will also be able to download author podcasts, accessed free of charge through the Library’s website or on iTunes. The recordings feature candid interviews with award-winning authors George Pelecanos, James Patterson, Rickey Minor, Nicholas Sparks, and more. For those who want more interaction, go to The Washington Post to participate in the online discussions with several participating authors, including Annette Gordon-Reed, Ken Burns, and Douglas Brinkley.

For more information, go to the 2009 National Book Festival website.

4 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

When I lived in Northern Virginia, I attended the first ever National Book Festival (thanks, Laura Bush!).

While heading upstairs to the book signing tables, I turned around (in the elevator) and realized I was standing in front of Jan Karon. I blurted, "I love your books!"

Ever gracious, she looked at my son in his stroller and said, "And I love your baby."

Beth Kephart said...

You are always giving us all the world. Thanks, Vivian.

Vivian said...

Caroline-
How wonderful to have a great memory of the National Book Festival.

Beth-
;-)

Arlene Jones said...

Wish I could have gone there to promote my book Billion Dollar Winner. I am a new author and my book tells the story of a community activist who was the biggest protestor against the lottery games. A new lottery game comes into being and the prize gets to be worth one billion dollar. The activist comes to possess the winning ticket and all of Chicago get upset when they found out she won. The prologue to the book can be read at http://www.billiondollarwinner.blogspot.com and the book is available at Amazon.com.