Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

Day 8: Mapping Out Writing Time: Elation, Ruin and Grace

It took less than 50 seconds before Taylor Swift's big moment over winning MTV's VMA Top Female Video Award was ruined, right in the middle of her acceptance speech. In one gracious move, during her own winning moment for Video of the Year, Beyonce gave the grateful 19-year-old a second chance. A brilliant move and a gracious act of kindness.

Which act will you remember more--the repugnant behavior OR the incredible grace that lifted a teen up?

Write-a-Scene Writing Prompt: We don't have control over many situations. Write a scene where it's time for your protagonist's Big Moment, ie: first date, first kiss, prom queen, scholarship, award, contest, etc. Create the anticipation, the agony of the wait, the hopes and fears, the competition, and let the scene unfold. Emotion and tension should fill the pages. Is your protagonist a good winner/loser? Or a bad winner/loser? Happy Writing!

11 comments:

Ello said...

I was so blown away by Beyonce's beautiful gesture. Good for her!

Now it is funny that your prompt really reminds me of what I've gone through with my own revisions. I got a lot of comments that my original MC was whiny, unlikeable, a poor sport. I had to turn him around 180 degrees and finally I got readers telling me they loved him. But it came from the little things you mention. HOw did he react to everything around him. I had to change all of those little aspects to make him be a ore likeable character.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Just a quick note to say that you're mentioned in my BBAW post today :)

Priya said...

I felt so bad for Taylor when that happened, but I'm glad she got a second chance.

Solvang Sherrie said...

Great example -- talk about drama!

Vivian said...

Ellen,
I'm so glad your revision went well and you're happy with your MC! Yay for hard work!

Infant Bibliophile,
You've really made my day. So appreciated. Thank you so much!

Vivian said...

Priya,
Thank goodness for the beauty of second chances. Glad it turned out well in the end.

Sherrie,
Nothing like the drama of real life. How is your writing going?

Beth Kephart said...

I had not known about this (how out of touch am I?) Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I had a tear rolling down my face.

Crystal said...

Yes, Beyonce performed an act of total graciousness. So glad Taylor was given another chance!

Vivian said...

Beth,
It is amazing what people do to one another. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Crystal,
It was quite a moment. Thanks for stopping by.

Dawn VanderMeer said...

I heard about the first part, but not about Beyonce. I'm a Beyonce fan already so this just makes me like her all the more. :)

Vivian said...

Dawn,
It does take someone special to take the spotlight off themselves and bring it to another. Huge move.