Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 5: Mapping Out Writing Time: Manageable Goals

Have you seen this interview--Kate DiCamillo on writing--by Jenny Brown of Twenty by Jenny? Kate shares her writing process with Jenny and it made me feel like I was on the right track. Newbery Medal winner Kate DiCamillo writes with "manageable, reachable goals" in mind--two pages a day!

Thanks to Mitali Perkins for finding this gem! And thank you, Jenny Brown of Twenty by Jenny for this inspiring interview!

Write-a-Scene Writing Prompt: There are times when your protagonist needs to create an action plan to reach their goal. Write a scene where your protagonist realizes a more organized method is required to make his/her plan work. What did your protagonist do before? What happened? ie: tried to get parents back together, tried to break mean girl up with boyfriend, escape from the dungeon.

Remember, this is going to be an AHA! moment. Beef up the conflict and let your protagonist suffer! It'll all come out right in the end, right?

6 comments:

Solvang Sherrie said...

I love Kate diCamillo! Thanks for posting this video :)

Vivian said...

You're welcome, Sherrie! Hope you're feeling better!

twentybyjenny said...

Dear Vivian,
Thanks for spreading awareness about the interview with Kate DiCamillo,and for your kind words.I'm really enjoying your "mapping out writing time" series, and as painful as it must have been for your Princess Rock Star to go through that first day of school, your account of it is terrific!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

It's always so interesting to see how others work.

When I started writing, I remembered a video I'd shown my students about Dahl. He said he wrote for two hours a day, no matter what. That seemed really reasonable to me and pushed me to begin.

Beth Kephart said...

When I have a writing day (and they are rare and growing rarer) I never shoot for more than two pages a day. I am so happy when I reach that goal (though, I confess, my two pages are always double spaced and I can never write them in an hour).

Thanks for a great video.

Vivian said...

Jenny,
Thanks again for this interview. Glad you stopped by.

Caroline,
I never knew that about Dahl. His books are wonderful.

Beth,
Thanks for sharing this. I'm feeling so much better about my progress!