Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 4: Mapping Out Writing Time: Empowerment

I've decided it's time to change Princess Rock Star's name, to send her some empowerment juju. It's time to conquer kindergarten. Going forward, she'll be Wonder Girl, named for her favorite super heroine, Wonder Woman.

Wonder Girl will be turning six this month. She wants a Wonder Woman theme party. Do you know how hard it is to find Wonder Woman theme party favors? Especially ones that parents of five-year-olds will think are appropriate? Why do female superheroes have to be so scantily clad and buxom?

Help! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Write-a-Scene Writing Prompt: What empowers your protagonist? Write a scene where he/she is confronted by an ugly situation and handles it with ease. What is his/her reaction? Is this the first time your protagonist feels empowerment? Or is it pretty much routine? This can be an emotionally charged scene, so remember to increase conflict and emotion!

8 comments:

Christine M said...

For favors what if you buy cheap tiaras and have them decorate them with stick on jewels and things from a craft shop?

Vivian said...

Chris,
Great idea! I'll check it out. Thanks!

Kelly H-Y said...

I love it! That would be tough, though ... a Wonder Woman party would be a challenge to pull off for a 6-year old! Thank goodness my next bday party challenge is a Hello Kitty party for my to-be 4-year old girl ... there is Hello Kitty stuff EVERYWHERE!!! :-) Great writing prompt!

Christine M said...

I've done a Magic Tree House party; Colonial times party; WWII party (based on American Girl doll Molly); 'Let's put on a show' party; and a President themed birthday party (my son was born on Washington's birthday - stick the cherry on the cherry tree, anyone?)

Vivian said...

Kelly,
I miss the Hello Kitty days! My kids can't believe Hello Kitty was big when I was a kid. Glad you like the prompt!

Chris,
Wow! I'm impressed with your birthday parties. I really need to make more of an effort.

Infant Bibliophile said...

Would 5 year olds like rings and stickers?

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Party-Rings-Set/dp/B0017OEV0S

http://www.amazon.com/Sticker-Sheet-Wonder-Woman-4/dp/B001TD7RHQ/ref=pd_sim_t_4

sheila said...

Wonder Woman, eh? If I see anything I'll pass it your way. I did a Harry Potter theme for the twins and it was a little wild seeing what's out there: almost EVERYTHING from the books has been reproduced in some way. Someone even wrote up a set of chocolate frog cards. Boggles the mind.

Have you checked Instructables dot com? It's got quite a collection of ideas.

Vivian said...

Sheila and Infant Bibliophile-
Thanks for the ideas! This party should prove interesting.