Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Day 1: Mapping Out Writing Time: First Day Jitters

Today was tough. I broke down. As much as I couldn't wait for the girls to go to school today, I also didn't want to let them go. You know the parent who you roll your eyes at--the one carrying a camera and running after their child, to give one extra hug, as they enter the school? Yeah. That would be me.

Write-a-Scene Writing Prompt: In honor of the first day of school -- Write a scene about your protagonist's first day jitters, ie: first day of school, first date, first kiss, first day of job, first day of babysitting, etc. Remember to up the tension!

10 comments:

Christine M said...

So how did the girls do at school? Was kindergarten a success? Tomorrow will be easier (hopefully)

Karren said...

Former fourth grade teacher here. I always watched kindergarten parents standing outside the classroom door with kleenex in hand. My oldest starts preschool next week and I teared up multiple times just sitting through the parent orientation meeting. I get it now!

Linda Austin said...

I remember my first day of kindergarten - a dog chased me around the bus stop. I have honored your blog if you will claim it from my blog. http://tinyurl.com/n8nhso.

Beth Kephart said...

A big embrace from me.

Vivian said...

Chris,
Thanks! The first day of school turned out great for Spy Girl and Ninja Girl. We only had a 1/2 hour orientation for Princess Rock Star -- her first day is today!

Karren,
Yes, this tearing up doesn't get old. I thought by now I'd be able to manage my emotions, but how do you let your children go, when they are the world?

Linda,
What an image! That must have been some dog chase--I hope you were okay! You honor me, and for that, I am grateful. Thank you.

Vivian said...

Beth,
Thank you!

Jeannine said...

Vivian, I know you'll be channeling all the feeling into your words today. Waving from my porch (though with two sweaters).

Kelly H-Y said...

I'm totally carrying the camera too! :-)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Oh, Vivian! I'm the same way!

Funny thing about your writing prompt, after we dropped the kids off for the first day of school last week, I actually started scribbling furiously on scraps of paper this scene I imagined on the first day of school with a cute new boy in the class. I'm so glad I wrote it down because I don't remember a thing now. I need to go dig that out of my bag!

Vivian said...

Thank you, Jeannine! Hope your writing is going well.

Oh good, Kelly! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Sherrie- Hope you found your paper! Isn't it great when inspiration hits?