Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Five on a Friday

1. I've had a glorious Cape Cod vacation, despite family craziness and all. Seems it's somewhat difficult to get three independent girls to agree on what to do when away from all their friends and things. One wants to bike, the other wants to go to the beach, another wants to hang out and shop, etc., etc., etc. Thankfully, we developed quite a nice routine and a good time was had by all.

2. Limited Internet: Dear Internet, as much as I love you, it's been nice to not have to bow down to your every whim and become captive to virtual time suck. Amazing how much more time I found to write, spend time with the family, read, and simply relax. I vow to take more vacations from you in the future. We'll both be the better for it. Truly.

3. I CAPTURE THE CASTLE by Dodie Smith Simply, simply wonderful. If you want to study voice, read this book. For Disney fans, Dodie Smith wrote The One Hundred and One Dalmatians.

4. Spy Girl is on her third book this summer! My reluctant reader is really into Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books - she is now on The Titan's Curse.

5. My incredible critique group likes my changes to PB, and this makes me so happy! I'm starting to realize all my hard work is coming together and it is very empowering. Yay for great critique groups!

How was your week?

8 comments:

jama said...

So jealous you vacationed on the Cape! Thanks for recommending I Capture the Castle. Sounds good! :)

Nowheymama said...

Glad you had a wonderful vacation!

Heather Zundel said...

Amen to the internet time suck. I need to make a re-commitment to that.

Vivian said...

Jama,
You'll really enjoy I Capture the Castle! The protagonist is wonderful and the tone of the book is similar to Jane Eyre.

Nowheymama,
Thanks!

Heather,
It is good to do--if just to clear your mind. Good luck!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Ah, now I know where that lovely picture is from! My kids LOVE Percy Jackson, and so do I =)

adrienne said...

Just reading about the Cape makes me feel more relaxed. I do love it there. I'm glad you all had such a nice time, and yay to more time for writing!

carolinestarr said...

Isn't I Capture the Castle so much fun? I've recommended it to so many friends. It was a great book club read. Love to hear other people enjoyed it.

courtneywrites said...

I have had I CAPTURE THE CASTLE on my to-be-read list for YEARS -- thanks for reminding me!