Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Writing Tip: Add Lots of Conflict, Baby

The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply uncomfortable, unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments, propelled by our discomfort, that we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers.

Something to think about when we're adding conflict to our story.

Have a great writing day!

11 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

YES!

And nice to see you last night!

Patty P said...

I had a nightmare last night about my character getting into some serious trouble. Hmmm. Do you think she was trying to tell me something?

Ello said...

conflict is good. Too much conflict, however, can be tiring.

Sarah Rettger said...

Yes! The scenes in my WIP that have been easiest to write are when the main characters are fighting. I just have to figure out how to move the story along while giving the MC a chance to step back from being a shrew.

PJ Hoover said...

Such great advice, and not just for our stories but for our lives!

beth said...

Oooh, I like that one. I'll have to print it out and think about in my revisions...

Jim Danielson said...

Wise words.

beckylevine said...

Great quote. I've decided that in some of these heavy, really serious books, the top of the positive arc is more of a power moment and not so much a happiness moment.

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh, that is SO true!!!

adrienne said...

I read this yesterday, but I had to visit again to comment because it's been on my mind ever since. This is maybe too much thinking for a holiday weekend.

Chris said...

Great quote and so true! Perhaps the sense of relief at accomplishing an end to unpleasant moments is the best reward.