Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

readergirlz: Cecil Castellucci on The Plain Janes

We are thrilled to welcome Cecil Castellucci to readergirlz this month. Her graphic novel, The Plain Janes, is our July pick! Check out the our interview with Cecil, book party ideas themed around The Plain Janes, and our Reach Out project idea--as well as the awesome soundtrack Cecil's chosen for the book--on readergirlz.com.

Here's a little about the book, which features amazing art by Jim Rugg:

When Jane is forced to move from the cool confines of Metro City to Suburbia, she thinks her life is over. But there in the lunch room at the reject table she finds her tribe: three other girls named Jane. Main Jane encourages them to form a secret art gang and paint the town P.L.A.I.N. - People Loving Art In Neighborhoods. But can art attacks really save the hell that is high school?

And the buzz...

"This graphic novel for girls feels like a teen movie and teaches young women the joy of being original." - USA Today on THE PLAIN JANES, Best Graphic Novels of 2007

"Castellucci clearly knows what goes on in the lives in many teens." - School Library Journal

"Castellucci gives voice to a memorable teenage narrator." - Publishers Weekly starred review

We are psyched! Join us all month right here on the blog for discussions and mark your calendars a LIVE chat with Cecil and Jim on Wednesday, July 22nd at 6pm PST/9pm EST.

Happy July, readergirlz!

4 comments:

BJW said...

Great to have another post from you! I've been missing my hip writer mama fix.

Hope you have a great July, full of fulfilling writing energy and momentum.

Good luck!

Jazz said...

Oh, I'm so excited. I've read The Plain Janes several times since getting the ARC back in 2007. I haven't gotten my hands on Janes in Love yet, though.

Vivian said...

Awww. Ben. I'll be back soon--I promise. Hope your writing is going well, too!

Jazz-Hope you stop by readergirlz and join in on the discussions!

Saints and Spinners said...

Plain Janes has been on my list for a while. I need to get my hands on a book quickly, I see.