Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Road Trip! The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson

There's nothing like a road trip, especially when it's a spur-of-the-moment, in-your-face, meant-to-be chance for a fair day. How many times does something like this come along? So when Chaney Bennett sent along The Miles Between by Mary E. Pearson, I went along on the ride. Thank you, Chaney and Mary!

I mean, how cool is this idea? Mary sent four ARCs of The Miles Between out on a cross country road trip, the final destination to be her editor's desk. My ARC started out in San Diego, then to Texas, and arrived for me in Massachusetts.

Mary wrote The Adoration of Jenna Fox, a powerful, thought-provoking book I absolutely loved, so I couldn't wait to read The Miles Between.

The Miles Between is a lighter read, the story of Destiny Faraday and three of her classmates, who venture out on a spontaneous road trip, in search of their "one fair day--a day where the good guy wins and everything adds up to something just and right." This story has a touch of magic a la Cinderella, though nothing is what it seems, with plenty of poignant secrets to be revealed. You know this means tissues, right?

I thought I'd share a couple photos of The Miles Between at a couple of my favorite spots.

I LOVE statues and there is one awesome statue in my town square, of a girl reading to a boy on a stone bench. Of course in real life, these children would be too young to read Mary's book, but for the sake of a photo opportunity, I thought this looked great.

Next, I decided since the ARC was on a road trip, it was a good time to go the beach. We drove a little over an hour and stopped by our favorite breakfast place, Mary Ellen's Portuguese Bakery, for eggs, bacon, home fries, toast and coffee. Then, on to the Falmouth Road Race Finish Line Stone Garden overlooking the ocean, for this inspiring photo.

The Miles Between ARC is going to have plenty of mileage. It's headed back to California....to...drumroll, please...Becky Levine! I actually found out about the road trip from Becky, and think it's only fair to let her join in on all this fun.

Yay! for road trips! What trips are you planning?

10 comments:

Lenore said...

What a fun idea! I just finished reading the ARC myself. I loved it!

Nowheymama said...

What fun! We'll be heading to NH in August. I can't wait.

beth said...

I am so eager for this book! I LOVED The Adoration of Jenna Fox--one of the best books of the year for me.

What a brilliant ARC idea--I remember once finding a book on a park bench with a note inside that said "This book is for you to read--just pass it on if you liked it." I forget the book--but the idea behind the promotion still resonates with me!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Lucky you! I hope I get to touch the ARC before it goes to New York. I found out about the road trip from Becky, too.

Great statue and it's funny, but I never think of Mass. as having beaches :)

Glad you liked the book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Vivian said...

Sherrie,
Massachusetts has wonderful beaches. Cold. But nice.

Beth,
This is a great marketing idea, isn't it? And I agree, The Adoration of Jenna Fox was one of the best books of 2008 for me.

Sarah,
NH is lovely! I'll be there at some point this summer, too!

Lenore,
Glad you enjoyed the ARC!

beckylevine said...

Yay! Can't wait to read it. Thanks so much, Vivian, for putting me next on the trip! I already know where I want to take the photo. :)

Vivian said...

Becky,
Can't wait to see your photos. Enjoy the book!

Patty P said...

What fun! Can't wait to read the book. Loved "The Adoration of Jenna Fox".

Little Willow said...

Very cool idea for a road trip book to go on its own road trip! Love the picture of the books here and there. :)

maya ganesan said...

That is SO cool! I've heard so many good things about TMB and ugh, this is making me want to read it even more. :)

That's such a clever idea! I should do it too sometime...