Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

In Which I Read Chapter One from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I've been toying with the idea of recording my own audiobooks for my children's listening pleasure. It all started out with finding out about LibriVox a few months ago and thinking this might be a fun project to do with the kids this summer, as we all act out different voices in a book. Then, I heard Sherrie and Drew's podcast, and it really hit home what a great bonding experience this could be. Of course, it may be biting off more than I can chew--imagine the chaos from three strong-willed children--so for now, I'm going to start off small and try this out myself.

I decided to begin with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, courtesy of Project Gutenberg. This has been trickier than I thought--it is definitely a work-in-progress. Still, it has been a great learning experience.

In case you'd like to hear my voice--here's Chapter 1: Down the Rabbit Hole, in 11 minutes and 40 seconds. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy!

16 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

My goodness, this is fun, Vivian. I love hearing your voice. Your many voices!

It's incredibly hard to read aloud well and convincingly — a true talent is required. You have that talent!

Solvang Sherrie said...

Cool! And what a fun idea to do it with your kids! Can't wait to hear more...

Solvang Sherrie said...

You have such an expressive voice -- love, love, loved it!!

Christine M said...

Oh, this is wonderful. I love listening to you read. How great to hear your voice!

BJW said...

This is really cool Vivian! Thanks for sharing.

beckylevine said...

You read BEAUTIFULLY. I think we need to figure out how to get this to the people who do the hiring at the audio-book companies. Seriously!

PJ Hoover said...

OMg, you are fantastic! And I LOVE that I can actually hear your voice. It's one step closer to us actually meeting!

jama said...

Vivian, I agree with Becky! You have a fabulous reading voice, and should look into doing audio books. You continue to surprise us with your many talents :)!

Heather Zundel said...

So much fun! I love this idea, for so many reasons. I had never thought of it as family bonding. So cool. Congratulations for discovering the joys of Librivox. Keep it up, it's good.

Nowheymama said...

What a lovely idea! And what a great voice!

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Oh fabulous and such a great idea!

Callipygia said...

Vivian, this is very cool and fun to listen to. Reading aloud well is such an art and you are quite good at it. I have been told that good speakers learn to speak a little slower and pause a little longer than one thinks you should. Don't know if that helps!

Kelly H-Y said...

Wow ... this is fascinating! Hadn't heard of it before!

Suzanne Casamento said...

That is awesome! And regarding Sherrie and Drew, I too, found their podcast inspiring. What a cool way to bond and share the love of storytelling.

Rock on HipWriterMama!

Vivian said...

Thanks, everyone!

Jenny Girl said...

What a coincidence! I just started reading this myself, and am finding it a little tough.