1. Spy Girl had been w a i t i n g for her copy of Rick Riordan's THE LAST OLYMPIAN, the final book of the Percy Jackson series. Little did she know, I had a surpise up my sleeve. Not only did I buy the book, actually 4 copies, but my favorite independent bookstore scheduled Rick Riordan for a book signing!
2. When I finally told Spy Girl, she screamed! She was thrilled when I told her she could bring one friend and give her friend a copy of THE LAST OLYMPIAN. Spy Girl kept talking about last year's incredible book signing for THE BATTLE OF THE LABYRINTH, her friend - K - couldn't wait, and Ninja Girl refused to be left out of the festivities and insisted she was old enough to come. So I planned on bringing three girls, four copies of THE LAST OLYMPIAN, and one copy of THE LIGHTNING THIEF (for Ninja Girl) to Rick Riordan's book signing.
Two copies of THE LAST OLYMPIAN were already claimed by Spy Girl and K.
3. Unfortunately, things sometimes don't go as planned. Our babysitter couldn't come so Princess Rock Star came with us, her older sisters whispering threats of what would happen if we had to leave early because of her. (The lesson learned - It's tough being the youngest. Sometimes.)
We made it the waiting line at 4:30pm (1 1/2 hours early) and we were numbers 246 - 250. The talk was scheduled for 6 pm on a school night.
K, Spy Girl and Ninja Girl scanned the line to see if they knew anyone and were amazed at how many people were behind us. Princess Rock Star was losing her enthusiasm for staying in one spot in line. But, she made it!
Rick Riordan's presentation was geared to the kids, letting them ask questions about the books, the movie and how he came up with ideas. Fans will be thrilled to know THE LIGHTNING THIEF movie is due to be released in February 2010! No movie trailer yet, but of the names I recognized, Uma Thurman will play Medusa and Pierce Brosnan will play Chiron. Here is the rest of the cast list.
The other news that the kids cheered about was the new Camp Half-Blood series will feature Egyptian gods and goddesses.
This event was fantastic. K, Spy Girl and Ninja Girl kept screaming and shouting, along with all the other 600 plus fans that were in the auditorium. Princess Rock Star was content to sit on my lap and watch all the crazy kids. When it was time for the book signing, we were introduced to surprise guest Gareth Hinds, illustrator extraordinaire, who has published some fantastic graphic novels. He's currently working on a graphic novel, The Odyssey, and he demonstrated his artwork of gods and monsters for the children, while they waited for their numbers to be called for their books to be signed.
When our numbers were called, the girls got into line, worried about what they would ask him. K clutched her book and kept hugging me. Spy Girl and Ninja Girl obsessed about what they would say. Keep in mind, Ninja Girl hasn't read a word of the book, but wants to show she cares. Princess Rock Star saw the end was in sight to leave the building and pushed people along in the line.
I met Rick and became a blubbering idiot when Rick smiled, using Princess Rock Star as my excuse to walk away. Ninja Girl stood silent as Rick signed her book. Spy Girl and K wouldn't move, elbowing each other until they both told Rick how much they loved his books. Once they walked away, they both screamed in the hallway, jumped up and down and had a shriek-fest. Yes, we do know how to make a scene wherever we go. But, we had fun...
4. So, if you paid attention to item #1 on this list, you read where I bought 4 copies of THE LAST OLYMPIAN, 2 already claimed by Spy Girl and K. Now I have 2 signed copies of the book left.
One of these hardcover books is going to Bridget Zinn's Auction. Bridget Zinn has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Colon Cancer and needs help with the expensive medical treatments. When I heard her story, I knew I wanted to donate something. My sister-in-law also has Stage 4 Colon Cancer, and she has mentioned several times how she's so fortunate to work at a company with a generous health plan, otherwise it would be difficult to pay for her treatments.
I'm hoping people will bid on a signed copy of THE LAST OLYMPIAN, personalized with the battle cry, "Be Strong." Since there are so many people that attend Rick's book signings, he is unable to personalize all of them. I asked Rick to write in "Be Strong" into the 2 remaining books, so these 2 extra copies are special. This book is donated in honor of my sister-in-law, a true warrior.
If you are interested in bidding on THE LAST OLYMPIAN, go here. If you're interested in bidding on other items, you can go here. Thank you for your generosity!
5. Now there is one signed copy of THE LAST OLYMPIAN left, personalized with "Be Strong." Hmmm. What to do?
Well, dear readers, I've decided to give the book away. A special kind of book giveaway in honor of GRATITUDE.
Here are the rules:
For my 38 followers as of this posting--I Love Music, Karen Ehrhardt, Djpdancer, Crystal, Adlibby, Solvang Sherrie, katied, Morpho Ophelia, Megan, Patty P, Lorie Ann Grover, becky, Jennifer, Jim Harrington, Christine M, lanna-lovely, Barrie, Anna Lefler, Suzanne, beth, Heather Zundel, tapestry100, Marie Beausoleil, artsymommachic, GoldenApple, Lori Calabrese, PJ Hoover, Jillian Cantor, gabidenise, victoria thorne, holly cupala, Teashop Girl, KiKi, JannenZ, Ello, Rebecca Fabian, eastsidemommy, and T. Anne--you will automatically entered in THE LAST OLYMPIAN book giveaway, to thank you for your interest in what I have to say. I know there are many other people who read my blog, and I'm really sorry about this, but I needed an easy way to determine loyal readership. In case you want to become a follower of my blog, go here.
Also, I will collect the names of those who bid on items in the Bridget Zinn Auction and automatically enter them in THE LAST OLYMPIAN book giveaway, to thank you for your generosity. [Edited to Add: Since there are many bidders and quite a few that don't leave linking blogs to their names, I'll put the responsibility on the bidders to enter their names into this book giveaway. If you've bid on something in the auction, leave a comment with the item and item post link.] Bidding ends May 30th.
I will announce the winner for THE LAST OLYMPIAN on June 2nd.
Thank you, everyone!
6. Now, I have to slip in #6 to tell you I have many goodies planned for next week. So please come back and stay tuned!
Have a great weekend!