Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, March 9, 2009

Writing Tip: The Art of Emotion with Beth Kephart

Last week, I invited Beth Kephart, author of YA novels Undercover (Come back later for a Book Giveaway Contest!), House of Dance, and the soon to be released Nothing But Ghosts, to stop by and share her thoughts on how to create emotion in our writing. Beth kindly accepted and I was thrilled. I mean, Beth is a National Book Award finalist, an NEA grant winner, a Pew Fellowships in the Arts recipient, a Pennsylvania Council on the Arts winner, a Leeway Foundation award winner, and a Speakeasy Poetry Prize winner. In addition to YA, Beth is written memoir and non-fiction. She offers experience and beauty of words and it is a wonder to learn from her.

It's no secret that I'm a fan of Beth's work. While I count Beth as a friend, I'll let you know there is no bias here. Beth's writing is simply stunning and if you want a treat, go over and read her blog. She updates it at least once a day and it is filled with lyrical musings that will make you crave more.

As I wrote in my interview with her, Through the Eyes of Beth Kephart, "Beth has an incredible gift of seeing the little things that matter. I've decided she is a writer with a pure artisanal mindset -- she hand selects each word before painting layers of meaning and imagery onto paper."

Here's what Beth shares with us on how she brings emotion to her work:
You have asked me how I bring emotion into my work, and may I first say what a tremendous question this is, for how, indeed, is emotion achieved on the page? For me it begins in real life, in the way that I live. I feel deeply, always. I live my life on the perpetual precipice of wanting, of wishing, of needing. I want to touch things I can’t reach, like the pink in the sky. I want to be able to do things I can’t do, I want to live longer, I want to see more, and I lean all this wanting directly down onto the page. My characters are reaching, too—filled up with desire or curiosity or loss. They’re not finished people. They’re grappling. Sometimes the thoughts they are thinking are swooshed together in long, circuitous sentences. Sometimes they are yelped out, in a word or two. The surprising image is essential to emotional writing. So is deliberate variation in the structure and rhythm of sentences. So is reading every sentence you write out loud, several times, and if it doesn’t move you, it sure as heck isn’t going to move its readers.

See? Beauty and emotion.

Now go and bring emotion into your work.

13 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

That is truly inspiring to read! I love how every bit of it is phrased.
Something to aspire towards :)

Vivian said...

PJ,
I so agree with you. Beth is a true artist.

Patty P said...

Once again, you introduced me to another wonderful author. You're right. Her blog overflows with emotional writing (just like your writing). I read one and my eyes welled up.
I'm buying her books today.
Thanks Vivian, and it's nice to see you back...

Beth Kephart said...

I'm floored, Vivian. You are much too much. I have a small vlog waiting for you on my blog, but jeepers, that's hardly enough to thank you.

Lorie Ann Grover said...

Grappling. Perfect word for Beth's beautiful characters. And I love this:

*circuitous sentences
*yelped out words
*surprising images
*variation in the structure and rhythm of sentences

BINGO! Thanks, HWM and Beth!

Em said...

What an amazing way to look at it! I love the idea of Beth and her characters always reaching for the pink in the sky. :)

Vivian said...

Thank you, Patty! And if you wait, I've just posted the chance to win a copy of Undercover!

Oh, Beth,
You didn't have to do that! Thank you.

Lorie Ann,
E-mail headed your way!

Em,
Beth has a beautiful way of looking at things, doesn't she?

Sherry said...

Beth teaches us to pay attention, to wonder, to live not only by doing, but also by seeing. Basically, Beth teaches us to care,shows us how to love.

Vivian said...

Sherry,
What you say has great truth. Beautifully written.

beth said...

Oooo, great question to ask! Thank you for sharing! (and I'm glad you're back!)

cuileann said...

Artisanal...I like this description.

Chris said...

Awesome writing!

Little Willow said...

Go Beth! :)