Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, December 26, 2008

Writing Confession

Details are really important to me.  

I've interrupted writing sprees to research the little things so I can construct realistic scenes of places I've never been, traditions I've never practiced, clothing and accessories I've never worn.

7 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I've run out and grabbed a bubble tea drink to see what it really tasted like mid-writing!

Vivian said...

PJ,
Thanks for sharing this! I've been feeling like I'm wasting too much time in the details, rather than finishing things up. Must work on the balance.

PJ Hoover said...

Balance is good, but learning the details make the whole experience so much more fun.
BTW, I loved the Bubble tea, but my kids couldn't stand it.
Good luck!

Vivian said...

I've never tried Bubble tea. If I ever see a place that sells it, I'll try some in honor of you! Hope you like what you've written so far!

beckylevine said...

This is going to pay off for you! And for your readers. :)

Beth Kephart said...

Vivian: There are two minds with this. One (Ken Kalfus works this way) is to write the book through, leaving blanks where the "facts" must be. The other (which is my approach) is to read and read and stop and stop, because in the details often lie the story.

It's fun work, I think.

Vivian said...

Becky,
I hope so! Thank you!

----
Beth,
Thanks for sharing your process! Love to read these kind of things.