Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Writing Confession #3

When I am involved in a story, I enter what my husband calls THE ZONE.  

My children can fight and scream, dishes can pile up, clutter can fall around me, and I wouldn't notice.  Because THE ZONE is all consuming thought and emotion rushing out onto my keyboard.  If I lose my concentration, I fear the words will all disappear.

When I'm in THE ZONE, it's hard for me to balance writing with keeping my family well-cared for...so they know they are number one in my life.  I've realized that I can do both if I write when everyone is asleep.  So, I am a night-owl.

Unless, I find an opening...

4 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I've found it impossible to write while the kids are home and awake. The Zone. If you can enter it so well, you should take up chess!

Vivian said...

PJ,
I'm so-so at chess. Even if I were in The Zone, it wouldn't help.

As for getting into The Zone, it takes a huge amount of effort and inspiration. Definitely not the usual occurrence! Sigh...

beckylevine said...

You're good. I can only really get into the zone when other household members are gone or off doing something quietly. Then I put on a CD, hear the first two lines of the first song, and don't come out until I realize by the silence that the CD is done. It's wonderful.

Beth Kephart said...

Night is the only way. I've often thought that myself....