Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Poetry Friday: Incantation by Czeslaw Milosz

Jen Robinson celebrated her third blogiversary with a fantastic carnival.  Go over and read it!  It is packed with great posts from around the blogosphere.

Today, I celebrate my second blogiversary!  And what better way than with some poetry?  Here is a poem I fell in love with after reading it over at Big A little a, awhile ago.

Incantation
By Czeslaw Milosz

Human reason is beautiful and invincible.
No bars, no barbed wire, no pulping of books,
No sentence of banishment can prevail against it.
It establishes the universal ideas in language,
And guides our hand so we write Truth and Justice
With capital letters, lie and oppression with small.
It puts what should be above things as they are,
Is an enemy of despair and a friend of hope.
To read the rest of the poem


[Edited to Add]: We're supposed to have a huge snow storm today.  It was announced yesterday afternoon that the schools will close at noon and my husband's office party will be cancelled (our one night out a year!). I have to admit, I was halfway hoping for a snow day.  My fourth grader and I were studying for today's math and spelling test, and it was a struggle.  The new math ways are so different from the way I learned to do it, so long ago.  Frustration all around.  If she only had one more day to study.  But it's beautiful outside, right now.  Sigh.   

Time to hunker down and get some work done while the kids are in school.  

What are you going to get done today?

24 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

I love Milosz, and this is a wonderful poem, Vivian.

When I read that this is just your second blogiversary, I am taken aback. Since I started a little over a year ago, I have always known about you. I think of you as the eternal blogger. Happy anniversary!!

jama said...

Happy 2nd Blogiversary, Vivian! I'm so glad you're here :).

Love the poem. Weighted and beautiful.

Vivian said...

Thank you, Beth and Jama!

beth said...

Lovely poem! And happy blogiversary! Good luck with the snow--wish I had some! I used to live in the mountains of Appalachia, but I've been sadly snow free for a while now :(

Sara said...

Happy wonderful twos! What an exquisite poem to celebrate with.

Vivian said...

Beth,
I wish I could send you some snow!

Sara,
Thank you!

Christine M said...

Happy Blogiversary! And here's hoping for many more years of blogging from you!

And what do I hope to get accomplished today? Way more than I probably will :)

Cloudscome said...

Happy Blogoversary!! I wish we had some of your snow too but all we have is freezing rain. Enjoy your day!

Kelly said...

Happy Blogoversary, Vivian!
My kids are home for a snow day, I won't get too much done today! But it will have fun having them home!

PJ Hoover said...

My daughter is home all day today, so I'm getting a bunch of little things done that don't require any long term thought.
Have a nice snow day!

lanna-lovely said...

I love the poem. :)

I wish it would snow here again, it's snowed a few times but now it's just rainy... I can't remember last time it was snowing at Christmas here (Scotland), usually we get snow in like January/February. I write better when it's snowing, there's something inspirational about it. :)

Jen Robinson said...

Happy second blogiversary, Vivian. Your blog is always an inspiration. And good luck with the weather there. It sounds like it's going to be quite a storm. Today I'm planning to catch up on lots of details, in getting ready for the holidays mode.

Jennifer said...

Happy Blogiversary, Vivian!

Too bad about the one night out a year (I hear ya!). But enjoy the snow. It just started here in CT!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

Happy Second Blogiversary! I'm just hoping the storm that's headed our way isn't too bad. My daughter went without electricity for two days after the last storm.

Nowheymama said...

Happy Blogiversary! We're in the middle of an ice storm, but school is still going on....

Vivian said...

Chris,
I bet you'll get more accomplished than you think you will!

----

Cloudscome,
Thanks! I hope it warms up soon so you won't have to deal with too much ice.

----

Kelly,
Enjoy the snow day!

----

PJ,
Have fun hanging out with your daughter.

----

Jen,
Thanks! And I will never forget how you were the first kidlit blogger to make me welcome here. Thank you!

----

Jennifer,
Hope you get the fluffy snow.

----

Elaine,
I know, I hope the storm isn't too bad. I went out this morning and stocked up on food and batteries for the flashlights. Now to start some cooking... Hope you and your family stay safe!

----

Nowheymama,
Keep safe during the ice storm!

david elzey said...

first, happy blogiversary, and many more happy returns.

next, i love milosz. i once stood next to him in a coffee shop in berkeley, marveling at all the possibilities on the menu board. "so much!" was all he said, but it was the way he said it...

i'm in he general region, and i'm not so convinced this storm is going to be that big a deal. i hope i'm wrong because i love snow and storms -- as long as i can stay in and be cozy. to prepare, i used the half day that the girls were in school to stock up on supplies and start making some apple-pear butter. the house smells of allspice and cardamom and tartness. just perfect.

Jennifer B said...

Happy 2 Blog-iversary! And snow to boot!

Vivian, you are somewhere in my neck of the woods if memory serves me right. We have no school at all next week, so the shopping had to end a day early. Except for internet, that is!

Thank you for including Milosz' excellent poem.

Vivian said...

Jennifer,
The last day of school is Tuesday, as long as the weather cooperates. Enjoy your holidays!

---

David,
Love the impression Milosz left with you with only two words. And apple-pear butter! I'm salivating here.

eisha said...

What a perfectly hopeful poem. I love it. And Happy Blogiversary!

Vivian said...

Eisha,
Thank you!

Mary Lee said...

Happy Blogiversary! Time flies when you're writing posts!

Val said...

We leave for Yosemite in the morning, hoping to find snow there and lots of Christmas cheer. We're both from the east. Christmas just isn't the same without snow.

Have a great holiday!

Little Willow said...

Happy blogiversary, HWM! :)