Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

Inspiration Monday: Getting Ready for the New Year

I've often wondered what it was that kept people moving toward their dreams when obstacles fell in their way. Sometimes, these rocks are just too massive and downright overwhelming, sucking up every bit of energy from one's soul. It's enough to make one want to give up and decide it obviously wasn't meant to be. 

And it's rather unfortunate.

Because if everyone did this, we wouldn't have most of the things we use on a daily basis that we take so much for granted. Almost everything our hands have touched, the knowledge we have soaked in, the history we have inherited, have come from someone else's blood, sweat and tears. There is always someone, somewhere, who had that boulder thrown in their path, and decided to find ways around it, rather than to stop and retreat.

Have you ever had that mountain grow in your path towards your dream? 

Maybe your family needs you. Or you've been getting too distracted from your day job but need to work more hours to pay those bills. Maybe your house looks like it will take an army to clean it. Or you've been sick. Or your children have been sick. Or you take care of an elderly parent.  Or you've overcommitted yourself to volunteer projects. Or to something at work to prove to your boss you're perfectly capable. Or you only have so many hours in a day and you can't find a minute for your dream. Perhaps it's your family life.  Your spouse feels neglected. Your children are acting up because they want your attention.  Your friends are mad you don't chat or meet up for coffee anymore.  

Are you feeling overwhelmed, right about now? Unsure of what to do?  Wonder how you're going to reach your dream when life just won't cooperate?  

You've got responsibilities and commitments and there isn't any room for fairy dust sprinkles and light-up-the-sky type of dreams.  Maybe you're relieved or resentful because whenever you work on making your dream a reality, you don't feel the enthusiasm you used to have. Because nobody believes in you. Or maybe your family and friends are your biggest supporters and you worry about disappointing them.  Maybe you're afraid. Of what will happen if you fail. Or if you succeed. Do you see how this list of stones can grow and grow into an impenetrable mountain?

Whew!  I'm exhausted just thinking of these situations and I know I've only written a small portion of what people are going through.

I'll be the first one to admit that I've had days, even weeks where I've been frozen in place. Worried about every little detail. Overwhelmed by lack of time. Spending time fulfilling my commitments. Afraid to make a move. 

But it's always the wondering and the thrill of my dream that gets me back into action. The What If's. What if I can prove to all the naysayers that I can do it? What if someone likes my work? What if this makes it all the worthwhile? 

Plus I think of the people who truly fought for their dreams--true heroics and courage needed to stand up and fight for their visions. 

This is what helps me find creative ways around my obstacles. It makes my dream feel more achievable, when I know others before me have suffered and accomplished so much, for beliefs and dreams far greater than mine. 

Just a few more days until the New Year...  

The way I see it (because I've justified it to myself), the 2008 slate is erased and we have a chance for a new beginning in 2009.  There is so much I wanted to get done this year, in terms of PB, and while I'm a little disappointed I didn't reach my goal, I'm off to start my quest once more in 2009.  

Can't get through this mountain? Okay, how about around it or over it.  

One step at a time. One step at a time.

You can do it!  I know you can.


Who's in for a 2009 New Year's Challenge?

9 comments:

shelburns said...

All I have to say is, "Preach on, sister!" I'm up for the challenge.

shelcows AT gmail DOT com

Vivian said...

Shelburns,
Sounds great! I'll put together a challenge for the New Year and launch it next Monday!

Happy New Year!

Patty P said...

Whatever challenge you create, I'm up for it!

Vivian said...

Patty!
I'm so glad! I'll keep you updated.

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I'm up for the challenge too, Vivian!

Kim Baccellia

PJ Hoover said...

I'm totally in for the new year! I'm excited about it and my future!
Thanks for the great post, and I love PB!

beckylevine said...

Go, Vivian!

For me, it's more the What if NOT;i.e., what if I DON'T get back to my stories. That is just too bleak to even consider, and I know how much harder it gets the longer I stay away. So this gets me back for at least a few minutes whenever I can!

KB said...

I'm giving it another shot. I'm in for this year.

Vivian said...

Bonnie and Khrissy!
How are you! Send me e-mail at hipwritermama@comcast.net so we can catch up!