Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Honest Scrap Award

Becky Levine nominated me for the Honest Scrap Award.   Thanks, Becky!  By the way, if you haven't visited her writing blog: Moving Forward on the Writing Path, go do so.  Becky offers helpful tips for writers.  

But, I digress.  You're probably wondering about the Honest Scrap Award.  According to Christy's Creative Space, here is the meaning of the Scrap Award
"Scrap means left over, fragments, discarded material. Many times truth and honesty are discarded material, considered fragments and left over. People like us need to tell it like it is, and let the scraps fall where they will. There are 2 guidelines for receiving this award. One, you are to list 10 honest things about yourself. Make them interesting, even if you have to dig deep. Two, present the award to 7 other bloggers."
I'm not the most interesting person.  I had to dig deep for the "I've been 16'd", for things I'd admit to in public.  But, what are a few more?  Buckle up and get ready to find out ten more things about me...
1.  I miss the type of days where I can snuggle up on the sofa and read books, uninterrupted, all day long.  It's difficult to do this sort of thing with children in the house, so whenever this happens, I savor every word.

2.  My girls and I have major giggle fests.  I'm talking about the kind where you laugh so hard your stomach hurts and when you finally stop, one word, one look, will set it off again.  It is the best kind of silly.


4.  One of the things I regret is not knowing how to reach out to a friend when her father passed away.  I think we were in fifth grade.  Death freaked me out and I never knew what to say or act to comfort her.  For that, I am so sorry.  

5.  When I was in elementary school, I won a Worry Wart Award.  I still excel at it.

6. I haven't had a full night's sleep since my first child was born ten years ago.

7. I have difficulty writing letters to friends and family because I always end up revising them.  And putting them away.

8. Writing is hard work. It sometimes takes me days to write the "perfect" sentence.  Which makes me feel inadequate.

9. I act out scenes and talk to myself when I write.  I'm sure it makes for amusing conversations for anyone who happens to see me.

10.  I've kept an inspirational quote journal since I was a teenager.  I still have it.
I'm going to nominate all of you for the Honest Scrap Award.  Just because I'd love to know more about you.  I know things are busy with the holidays, so if you're game for this, let me know in the comments and I'll go and read your post.

Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

10 comments:

beckylevine said...

1. So, so true.

4. Isn't it just amazing how we carry these things with us all our lives?

8. Not inadequate. Determined.

Thanks for the link! :)

PJ Hoover said...

You are an awesome writer, and these are great! And I totally get the uninterrupted reading time thing.

Beth Kephart said...

We all love you because you are so reflective, because you care about the now, the later, and the past. Our entire lives are made up of such scraps. The stories we write help us make sense of them.

Little Willow said...

1. I don't own a sofa, a couch, or anything of that nature.

2. I love laughing. LOVE IT.

3. I am the opposite of shy.

4. ((vibes))

5. I worry a lot, too.

6. I need to sleep more. I rarely get the 'recommended' eight hours of sleep a night.

7. I love writing letters, emails, songs, plays, just talking - ANYTHING that deals with communication.

8. Write! You have the write stuff. :)

9. I talk out loud as the character as well - but only the female characters. The guys 'stay' in my head. So if you ever hear me talking, then pausing and listening, then talking again, I'm writing a scene.

10. I save quotes too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your list, Vivian. I'll follow Little Willow and share mine:

1. Right now both our couch and La z Boy shows signs of me having a very active boy!

2. I have a tendency to giggle too. I think all my sisters are like me that way. My husband doesn't get it.

3. I have a tendency to be very outspoken when around those I don't know. But sometimes I also just want to be quiet.

4.

5. Hey, I should get that award! I worry over everything. Even if I forgot to unplug the flat iron. Silly things like that.

6. I get insomnia. I think it's the whole premenopausal thing.

7. I used to write letters now I'm bad and only do emails.

8. I sometimes take a whole day to get the perfect paragraph.

9. I play out my scenes. But only in my writing room.

10. I need to do the whole quote thing.

Kim Baccellia

Vivian said...

Becky,
Thanks for nominating me for this! And thanks for the kind words.
---

PJ,
I really appreciate it! Here's to more uninterrupted reading time!
---

Beth,
You say the kindest things. Thank you.
---

LW,
I love your list and how much we have in common. Thanks for sharing yours!
---

Kim,
We're going to have to figure out the linky thing for you when you comment over here. I'm glad I'm not the only insomniac...Thanks for sharing your list!

Anonymous said...

I know, Vivian. Somehow the live journal link hasn't been working.

Oh, on number #4--that's tough. My sister went through something similar and was just talking about it when I was visiting Saturday. **hugs!

Kim said...

Hey, Kim--I just tried your link to see if it worked.

I'm going to publish this under your link. If this works, go to the Name/URL item and add your link there.

And thanks about #4.

Vivian

Vivian said...

Kim,
It worked!

laurasalas said...

Vivian--I had fun reading this and your 16'd list!

1. Me, too!

6. Are you serious? Please tell me this is an exaggeration. How could you function if this were true?

9. Me, too!

10. I'm jealous. How cool to have insight into what inspired you then and now.

Thanks for sharing, and happy New Year!