Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Five on a Friday: Books on My Mind

Looking for books to give to a special pre-teen or teen in your life?  I'll be posting my book recommendations throughout the month with a MotherReader twist (though I have to say, MotherReader has 84 book/gift combinations posted as of today, so you must go and check out her fantastic ideas).  

Here are my Friday Five, in no particular order:

1.  The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:  include a canteen or stainless steel water bottle and a copy of The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook. 

2.  Undercover by Beth Kephart: include a beautiful journal, fountain pen and dictionary/thesaurus.  Or ice skates, hat, scarf and gloves.

3. Graceling by Kristin Cashore: include with self-defense classes.

4.  The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt: include with a book on Shakespeare, a New York Yankees baseball cap (though if you're so inclined, a Boston Red Sox baseball cap would do nicely) and good pair of running shoes.

5.  Shug by Jenny Han: include with friendship bracelet kit, camera, scrapbook and a book on self-esteem for girls.

Here are some reader suggestions:

M. Thompson recommends:



8 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Your suggestions are so creative and wonderful! Love the Hunger Games one.

Beth Kephart said...

Oh, Jeepers, Vivian. Thank you.

You are, as always, too much. You have me remembering my own first pair of skates right now. And wishing for a frozen pond. It snowed here yesterday—a start.

beckylevine said...

I love the gift-combo ideas here! I really need to read Graceling. :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

Wow. Great list! :)

Vivian said...

P.J.,
Glad you liked The Hunger Games gift suggestion!

Beth,
We have our first real snow today. Brrrr!

Becky,
Graceling was a good read. Hope you like it!

Jessica,
Thanks for stopping by! Glad you like the list.

Val said...

Great combo suggestions!

How about one for Story Of A Girl? A pizza delivered?

A box of chocolate for Life As We Knew It?

Pea green stocking cap for Anything But Ordinary?

Vivian said...

Val,
Great ideas! Thanks for stopping by.

If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free to leave them here and I'll add your ideas to the list!

m. thompson said...

Nice ideas. How about The Book Thief with any other book?