Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

Poetry Friday: Poppies by Mary Oliver

You know it's cold when the water bottle in your car is practically frozen by morning.  Shiver. 

Here's a poem to bring in some spring, hope and happiness.  Stay warm and have a great weekend!



Poppies
by Mary Oliver

The poppies send up their
orange flares; swaying
in the wind, their congregations
are a levitation

of bright dust, of thin
and lacy leaves.
There isn't a place
in this world that doesn't

sooner or later drown
in the indigos of darkness,
but now, for a while,
the roughage

shines like a miracle
as it floats above everything
with its yellow hair.


But I also say this: that light
is an invitation
to happiness,
and that happiness,

when it's done right,
is a kind of holiness,
palpable and redemptive.

5 comments:

Beth Kephart said...

happiness is a kind of holiness...
oh yes it is. oh yes, it's an art.

Sara said...

Mary Oliver brightens the world any time. Thank you!

Maya Ganesan said...

Oh, I love this one.

PJ Hoover said...

Lovely!

I remember needing to scrape the inside of my windows once in Chicago. Chilly!
Move to Austin. We rarely have water bottles freeze here.

Kelly Fineman said...

Lovely.

I had a half-bottle of water in the car the other day, that had started to contract in on itself with the cold. It was extremely, um, refreshing to drink, shall we say? *shiver*