Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Five on a Friday (A Saturday Version)

PJ does this every week.  And I've often thought it's a nice way to celebrate the good things in the week on a consistent basis.  Usually, I just visit Jules and Eisha and share stuff with them.   But then I thought, wait...I can do both!  So, here's my first Five on a Friday...posted on a Saturday.  Drumroll please....

1.  I fixed the deadbolt on my side door.  As in, unscrewed the whole thing, pulled it apart, and tried to figure out why the bolt wouldn't move.  I kept at it, even though I couldn't fit the pieces together again.  At least not right away.  I was so relieved when I finally got the lock to work and put it together without breaking anything.  

2. We met our new neighbors and they are lovely.  Youngest daughter is thrilled since she now has a new friend who gravitates towards mischief as often as she does.  

3. The children are going back to school after the Labor Day weekend, and they can't wait.  It took awhile to negotiate on school supplies, book bags, and first day of school outfits, but everyone is all set to go now.  Dare I say it will be nice to have some writing time while the girls are in school?

4.  Speaking of writing, progress on my manuscript coded PB is coming along.  I had hoped to finish this by the end of this summer, but kids and summer entertainment duties got in the way.  Though I got in plenty of plotting--thanks to my husband, who helped brainstorm a few great scenes which changed the direction and the ending of my manuscript.  Man, it's good to get the guy point of view.  I've found it interesting how this manuscript has changed since I started it in January--from first person to third, from pure historical fiction to something a bit more mystical.  Curious?  My new goal is to have this done by the end of September.  

5. My children, particularly my middle one, are of the mindset that I must exercise everyday.  So in their overwhelming need to slow down my middle aging process, I've decided to placate them.  Plus, the kids like exercising with me.  So we all benefit.  

Note: By the way, I haven't forgotten about the Character Development posts.  It's actually more work than I thought.  I'll have the posts up after Labor Day, once the kids are in school, and I have time to organize my thoughts on this.

How was your week?


11 comments:

Sara said...

You took apart a whole door? I'm impressed. And now you have to have a character do that in a novel one day, so you can use the juicy details!

Vivian said...

Sara,
Oh, not the whole door, that would give the neighbors an interesting show if I did that but couldn't get it back on the hinges, wouldn't it?

I took apart the deadbolt lock, which was very cool to figure out how to do. And you're right, it would make for an interesting character action. Thanks!

PJ Hoover said...

Impressive on the lock! Those things are so way complicated!
And I'm so excited PB is going well! I love that story :)
OK, I need to start on the daily exercise also. Next week I'll start...

Ms. Mize said...

Sounds like you had a good week. It is good to have the kids ready to go back to school and all those important decisions made.

My week was pretty good.
1. I survived being the new kid. It is interesting working on the same staff but being in a different department that is in a different location. I know it is where I am supposed to be. It is just different. I let the dean of students know I am a great resource for kids feeling new at our building.
2. I am getting my sea legs in the library and feel like I am finally getting organized.
3. I worked out 5 days this week so far. I ran about 20 miles and haven't gone yet today.
4. I got to spend time with my niece on Wednesday and help in a friend's classroom.
5. I started back to work.

Suzanne said...

Oh I like this. Sometimes Friday comes and I don't feel Poetry-ish. This is a nice alternative.

Vivian said...

Suzanne! I love your new avatar!

-----
Ms. Mize,
Wow, you must be in great shape! 20 miles! And best of luck this new school year!

-----
PJ,
I'm glad you love PB. Can't wait to find out how your exercise routine is going!

beckylevine said...

I like the Friday Five--seems like a little less thinking than some of my posts! :)

Congrats on PB--keep us posted on the progress. And yay for school starting & more writing time.

beth said...

I love the guy perspective, too. I remember when I was having trouble with a scene--I needed a class of kids to start chaos on the spur of the moment, and the best I could come up with was a girl screaming mouse! (lame and cliche, I know). Talked to the husband. He said, "Why don't the boys just get in a fight?"

And that problem was solved :)

Patty P said...

Love hearing what you've been up to...can't wait to read more of PB. Don't you love how a novel can have a mind of it's own? Good luck with the redirection and back-to-school.

sheila said...

Your children are of the mindset that you must exercise everyday! That cracks me right up for some reason. I'm with you on the placating bit, though; always good to placate someone. You will feel good, if nothing else. I exercise because I'm becoming a big fat cow as I get older.

Good for you on the lock business. I set up an electronic watering timer in my yard this year, with easy-snap-off water wand attachments, and I felt as though I'd developed a new life form. It was extremely thrilling.

Let's see. This week I had a bucket of transparent apples that were going bad, so I juiced them all and made apple jelly with the juice. And then I picked all the peaches and fed some to FDPG, who was peeling them for me so I could freeze them. We also picked raspberries, but we ate them all. That was our Little House on the Prairie moment.

kbaccellia said...

I do the Friday Five thing too on my live journal blog.

Sounds like you had an interesting week, Vivian. School starts next Thursday for my son. He's excited and so am I.