Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Writing Tip: Ira Glass on Storytelling

Farida sent me this YouTube video. Ira Glass, of "This American Life" talks about how to build a story. This is # 3 of his videos--I believe there are 4 so far. You'll be able to see the links to them at the end of this video. Even though Ira Glass is a radio guy, what he talks about still hold true for any art form. It's good stuff. Thank you, Farida!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good points here. He does talk alot though, doesn't he?

Vivian said...

Anonymous,
Yes, he does. But I found him pretty amusing and informative. Glad you found this helpful.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

It would be funny to find a radio person who didn't talk a lot. So far the only one I can think of is Teller.

Chris Barton said...

Thanks for posting this, Vivian! It's funny -- I kept expecting to hear the This American Life background music while he talks. That's such an integral piece of the Ira-Glass-listening-to experience, and he knows it -- when I saw him give a presentation in person last year, he brought his own music.

Cloudscome said...

This is the first time I have watched him talk. I listen to him on NPR all the time and I love him. I was struck by his old fashioned glasses here. Tee Hee. He kind of reminds me of Woody Allen. What he says is really golden though - thanks!