Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, May 2, 2008

Poetry Friday: Let Each Man Remember

Let Each Man Remember
by Josephine Jacobsen

There is a terrible hour in the early morning
When men awake and look on the day that brings
The hateful adventure, approaching with no less certainty
Than the light that grows, the untroubled bird that sings.

It does not matter what we have to consider,
Whether the difficult word, or the surgeon’s knife,
The last silver goblet to pawn, or the fatal letter,
Or the prospect of going on with a particular life.

The point is, they rise; always they seem to have risen
(They always will rise, I suppose) by courage alone.
Somehow, by this or by that, they engender courage,
Courage bred in flesh that is sick to the bone.

Each in his fashion, they compass their set intent
To rout the reluctant sword from the gripping sheath,
By thinking, perhaps, upon the Blessed Sacrament,
Or perhaps by coffee, or perhaps by gritted teeth.

It is indisputable that some turn solemn or savage,
While others have found it serves them best to be glib,
When they inwardly lean and listen, listen for courage,
That bitter and curious thing beneath the rib.

Read the rest of the poem here


And read the entries for the most intriguing five sentence over here! The voting ballot is now closed.

Kelly hosts today's Poetry Friday. Go read her wonderful original poem in honor of her graduating seniors as well as other inspiring poems.

Have a great weekend!

5 comments:

jama said...

I needed this today. Thank you!

HipWriterMama said...

Jama,
You're welcome.

Sara said...

I'm one who "rises by coffee." :) Honestly, sometimes I go to bed looking forward to it! But I'm a morning person, anyway. The toughest part of the day for me, requiring that "bitter and curious thing beneath the rib," is the late afternoon.

Liz in Ink said...

Oh, gritted teeth and courage....

Everyday...

The Cole Mine said...

Enjoyed this one...Reminds me of my poor husband who dreaded having to lay people off last week - not by his choice but by "corporate's" choice. So tough. Thanks for sharing this!