Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Inspiration Monday: Take One Step at a Time

It's been a few weeks since I wrote a real Inspiration Monday post.  I've been busy, as all of us are, and a little overwhelmed with projects I wanted to or needed to do.  But, it's time for me to get back on track and focus on my goals--the big one, as most of you know, is to be a published children's book author.

I have three manuscripts in various stages of revisions, and one I'm working on as a first draft. You may wonder why I don't just finish one manuscript and then go on to the next.  Which would totally make sense.  And sometimes, I wonder myself.  But this isn't about second guessing myself and my work.  It's about creating structure (which I shudder at), so I can take one step at a time to get to my goal, and be confident I'm going in the right direction.  

I've worked out my To Do List and dates for what I'd like to accomplish with each of these manuscripts, into manageable chunks.  My hope is this will help me focus on each step rather than being consumed with the Big Picture of a published book.    

Be easy on yourself and make your goal attainable.  Rather than being overwhelmed with your huge project, what can you do to break your goal into manageable chunks?

 

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Yay, Vivian! Are you going to share your goals?

keri mikulski :) said...

Very good idea. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment too and I'm going to take your advice. Thanks. Have a great week. :)

PJ Hoover said...

It's nice to break everything up and make the To Do List. Just writing the stuff down makes it so much more accomplishable (I know that's not a word, but it fits).
You go, HWM!

twowritingteachers said...

I'm juggling so much now and have put the journal article I'm writing on the back burner, which doesn't please me.

This post might get me back on track. THANKS!

--Stacey

MotherReader said...

I don't know about you, but I always find May to be one of my most scatter-brained months of the year. It's worse than December, where at least most of the energy seems to be focused on the holidays. May, with the end of school coming becomes a mash-up of tons of things needing wrap up. It's not one huge project, but I still need to break it down into manageable components. I'm terrible at lists, but maybe this is the time to try it.

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
I've got one of my goals in the next post....

-----

Keri,
Hope this helps. Good luck!
-----

PJ,
You're far organized than I am when you do your goals for the week. I need to break down my goals into smaller pieces. Waah!
-----

Stacey,
Good luck! Hope this is useful to you.

HipWriterMama said...

Hey, MotherReader!
Glad you survived the weekend! And I totally agree with you--May is crazy with wrapping up the school year, especially after coming from a stressful April. Here's to making things more manageable!

The Cole Mine said...

Wow, this is something I need to tell myself more often, especially w/regard to writing. Small attainable goals = success. Thanks!