Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

In Which There's a Haircut and Tears

I made my third grader cry today. And I only have Clementine to blame. Okay, fine. I blame myself.

We went to the library today, and the Clementine audiobook was available. My daughter likes to read books while she listens to the audiobooks. It helps her process the words and focus on what's going on in the story. Especially when the actor/actress reading the audiobook is good.

In the first chapter of the book, there's a haircut mishap. Combine art, something stuck on hair, scissors, and friends...and there can only be trouble. You'd think this would be enough to deter my child from thinking about her hair. Let alone wondering whether she'd look good if I cut a couple inches from her hair. But, no.

My daughter persisted and I gave in. Yes, I admit. It was a momentary lapse in judgement.

Her hair looks really nice. There are pretty layers that flip up and her hair looks healthy and thick. But. It's too short. Edited to Add: See her pretty hair?

There were tears. And shouts I ruined her life. And it brought me back to when I was nine-years-old and my mom had cut my hair too short.

My daughter finally quieted down when her sisters admired her hair and wanted haircuts like hers. They saved me...big time.

12 comments:

Christine M said...

Oh - and it will grow!

How wonderful her sisters were to praise the hair cut. Those are great sisters!

beckylevine said...

And great daughters!

PJ Hoover said...

You owe those girls big time.
Haircut disasters are the worst. And layers are second on the list (right after the Dorothy Hammil do).

beth said...

I have such memories of this! I always had incredibly long hair (all the way down my back) and my mom and aunt always wanted me to cut it. Once, my aunt offered to "feather" my hair. It sounded neat, so I agreed. I had no idea that "feather" meant "cut it all off!" I don't think I was ever madder EVER! However, I do remember that my mother was able to trick me into eating carrots and broccoli for MONTHS because she said it made hair grow faster...

Nowheymama said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry.

I love the idea of listening to an audiobook while reading. I never thought of that!

MotherReader said...

Hey, at least she didn't cut off her own hair. Both of my girls have done that. I thought it was some sort of kid right-of-passage. The younger one got off without much damage, but when the older one did it - she needed one short haircut to even it all out. She survived. Note: now her hair is way down her back and she hates getting a trim.

sheila said...

The one and only time I ever shaved my head was after a perm given to me by my mum. Those glorious Toni perms. Ugh ugh ugh. I looked like Michael Jackson when he was in the Jackson 5. And I'm blonde. It was not a good look.

Bless those elder sisters. I could've used one of those...

Liz in Ink said...

Oi. I remember crying myself to sleep one night after getting a haircut I was SURE I wanted. Buyer's remorse...
Her hair DOES look pretty cute, though, doesn't it??

Callipygia said...

Too funny, we have all had bad hair cuts that felt like our world will end. I agree her hair does look pretty cute and it sure is shiny and thick to boot!

The Cole Mine said...

Hooray for sisters!

For the record, I think it looks very nice-

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Her hair looks long to me! :) It's all relative, I guess. It does look good, though, and hurrah for your other daughters to help her with the self-esteem.

My mom cut an inch off my hair in high school when I got upset in front of the mirror and said I couldn't go to school because my hair flipped up on one side. Gack. Hair plagued me until I cut it all off. That doesn't stop me from admiring other people's locks, though.

Camille said...

There is something sooo... intriguing about cutting your kid's hair. Like you, I tried it one time. I just wanted to shorten, trim, nay it was to be a mere snip...disaster.