Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, May 19, 2008

Beauty and the Tween

I saw this on Good Morning America today and I'm in shock.  It appears the good ole days of tweens hanging out and doing their own nails is gone.  Now the girls, even as young as 6 and 7, go to beauty salons and spas for chemical treatments and massages to help them relax.  Edited to Add:  Chris made a calm observation--perhaps it's a daughter/mother bonding thing? 

Still...am I missing something?

8 comments:

Christine M said...

They're certainly not doing it on their own initiative at six or seven - it's their mother's bringing them. And since I don't even go get my own nails done, I can't imagine bringing my daughter - but maybe some people feel it's a bonding experience? Beats me.

Vivian said...

Chris,
You're so right. This news segment really threw me for a loop. Thanks for the calming influence.

PJ Hoover said...

Mother/daughter bikini waxing? Bond with the pain? Yikes!

Jenny said...

The other day I saw a 4 year old at the park with perfectly manicured nails...her nails looked better than mine have ever looked. I have a son so maybe I'm missing something, but if I was going to do something special with my daughter, I really don't think it would be getting manis/pedis!

beckylevine said...

I'm trying to figure out what the equivalent would be for my son...hmm, probably taking him to the nickel video game place. He does like that. I can't see dropping him off for a hair-gel styling session! :)

The Cole Mine said...

Amazing how life has changed since I was a little girl/tween! Maybe it's a good thing I have two boys! ;)

beth said...

I can't imagine bonding with my daughter over a spa treatment! (Well the first reason is obviously because I don't have children>) But I hope when I do have kids, we do something a little more substantive than our nails.

Barrie said...

Not sure why we encourage kids to grow up so fast.