Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2008

In Which My Stove Blows Up

My husband motioned for me to follow him into the kitchen this morning. Hmmm. Perhaps a nice cup of tea? A home-cooked breakfast to tempt the palate and make up for our dinner prep disagreement? Oh, how I wish.

"Um, did you hear the boom from the stove?" he asked. He stood a few feet away from the stove.

"What do you mean, a boom?" I moved closer in, and he waved for me to stop.

"No! Don't go any closer! There was a boom from the back burner," he said. "I put on the stove and there was this loud noise. If you don't believe me, then I'll turn the stove back on, and you can hear it." He stopped a foot away from the electric range and turned a knob quick, before scooting back a few feet.

Now clearly, after thinking about this, it may not have been the wisest thing to do, what with kids peering in, to find out what all the excitement was about. But we were groggy eyed and in need for a nice hot cup of tea.

But. Nothing happened. There was nary a sound from the old stove and husband looked disappointed but relieved he'd get his tea after all. The girls left and started getting ready for school. I got all the lunches packed and gathered up all the homework folders

Then. BOOM!

I ran into the kitchen and expected some sort of fire or pieces ripped out of the stove or something, with the loud noise. But, there was nothing. I turned off the stove real quick and was thankful we emerged unscathed.

Husband looked at me and smirked, "See! Now did you hear that?" Of course, I pointed out I wouldn't be able to cook until we bought a new stove.

"What are we going to eat?" he said. This is going to be so fun, milking the no cooking thing. Though secretly, I have to admit, I'd rather be cooking than looking for a new stove. Ugh.

Now, this stove is over 20 years old. When my husband and I bought this house a couple years ago, we went from a tiny updated house with new gas appliances to a fixer-upper, last updated in the early 1980's, with mustard yellow electric appliances and formica countertops/backsplash. I hoped to avoid buying new kitchen appliances until we were ready to fix up the kitchen, because I was holding out for something cool to reflect my modern sensibilities.

Who am I kidding. I hate shopping for appliances, actually, shopping for anything home related, and avoid it like the plague. There are too many choices and if something is well made, it usually costs a fortune.

Please help me! Does anyone have any good recommendations for electric ranges?

Updated to Add: The picture to the side gives you a cool picture of what my range looks like. The double oven on top and the range are all one piece.  Isn't it pretty? 

Now modernize the range by ten to twenty years and cover it all in dijon mustard, and you've got an idea of what my range looks like.  

My husband gave me some news this afternoon. Because our range has a hood built into it, we'll need a new hood in addition to the range. Then, he wondered what the wall behind this range looks like. Would it still be the formica backsplash or would it be a big hole for the venting system? We're both too afraid to pull this monstrosity out to see.

Any guesses what we'll find?

22 comments:

Christine M said...

We have a GE Spectra - like the one I found this link for http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?CHANNEL=CH0004&REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SITEID=DER&SKU=JBP78CBCC
we got it a few years ago - I've been very happy with it.
I like the flat top cooking surface.

If the link doesn't work - e-mail me.

Sorry you have to go appliance shopping. :(

jules said...

Oh my. I no appliance recs (my apologies), but good thing you all aren't hurt.

jules said...

That's supposed to be "I have no...."

d'oh!

PJ Hoover said...

I totally get the "we want to wait until we update the whole kitchen" thing. We broke down and bought a new (cheap) dishwasher a few years ago when it broke.
My new dryer was GE :)
So recommendations on stoves though.
Maybe the dying appliance thing is spreading through our critique group? Who will be next?

jama said...

Sorry to hear this, but glad no one got hurt. If you're just looking to replace, GE will be dependable. If you start looking at upscale, like Viking, etc., things could get dangerous and pricey. Good luck!

HipWriterMama said...

Chris,
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
-----

Jules,
Thanks. I need to focus on everyone's safety.
-----

Tricia,
Too funny! I automatically thought of your post.
-----

Jama,
GE is probably the way to go. The Viking ranges are beautiful. I probably should be grateful our street doesn't have gas piped in.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

Once, we had a cooktop with a defective heating element. The thing erupted and blew a whole in a heavy pot that was filled with boiling water. It was a good thing my husband had stepped away from the cooktop because tiny bits of hot metal (or whatever) went flying and even burned some holes in our kitchen linoleum.

I'm glad no one was hurt at your house.

Christine M said...

Tricia - I hope the breaking appliances isn't spreading through our critique group - I don't think we have any left to break down! - oh, maybe I started it with both broken washer and dryer in the past few months - sorry. :)

PJ Hoover said...

So you are to blame.

daphne grab said...

glad everyone is okay! our stove is a basic ge and gets the job done just fine, no frills but i'm not sure what stove frills are necessary anyway. i need to appease the appliance gods because i fear for the life of our dishwasher which has been making ominous grinding sounds of late...

daphne

The Cole Mine said...

We've always had luck with Sears brands and some are Energy Star rated, although we have a gas stove. Just look at the bright side, you'll save on utilities having a new stove, right?
Good luck in your search...

Becky Levine said...

Wow! I'm glad it was only noise!

We just bought a dishwasher, and I found the Sears site the most helpful. They have reviews right on the site, and then when you find one you like, you can actually FIND the machine at Sears. Not like some of the review sites that leave you trying to track down the machine you read about. We bought our last dishwasher at Sears, too, and have had no problem. Plus, they'll probably take your hazard, I mean old stove, away for you!

Good luck. Not fun.

Kelly said...

Oh, no, Vivian! And I'm beginning to worry now about the state of our appliances (being in the critique group and all)--they're all at least 10 years old. All of them.

Anyway, you just described one of my greatest fears. I'm so glad you're all okay!!

HipWriterMama said...

Elaine,
That is scary. I'm glad your husband wasn't hurt!
----

Chris,
So you're the one who started this... Though I had to replace my washer and dryer about a year and a half ago. But it was before the critique group.
----

Tricia,
hee hee
----

Daphne,
I know what you mean. My dishwasher will probably go next. It's so old, the manufacturer was surprised it still worked when I called about a part a few months ago.
----

The Cole Mine,
You're probably right about saving on the electric bill. But I have to tell you, I'm going to miss this range.
----

Becky,
I'l check it out. Thanks. And if you want to see what the hazard looks like, I updated this post with an old GE ad.
----

Kelly,
I never thought this type of noise would come from an electric stove. It was very scary. Hope your appliances last many more years!

Kaleb said...

My mom got this enormous double oven, so during holidays she can cook the turkey in one and keep everything else warm in the bottom. It is amazing because on some meats, you just put in the probe, click the button, and it cooks automatically.

HipWriterMama said...

Kaleb,
Is this a convection oven? Sounds very cool.

Jim D said...

Did I mention that my dryer has been chirping on for a few seconds for the last week or so.....spooky!

Jim D said...

That is "chirping when it first goes on"

Callipygia said...

Good excuse for an AGA!

Candace E. Salima said...

Oh wow. I have no advice. But I do wish you the best of luck.

Liz in Ink said...

Um, Vivian. I think the kitchen gods are telling you that it's time for a totally cool and fabulous remodel. Don't you???

Little Willow said...

I'd give you a recommendation if I had a stove that worked. ;)