Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Writing Exercise: In Which I Start Decluttering...

to think about what kind of house my MG protagonist lives in. Does he grow up in a stiff plastic-covered furniture type of house? A run-down fixer-upper that creaks with every footstep? Does he live in a house filled with books and clutter so he can't find a matching pair of shoes? Or maybe a house with designer furniture and designer parents.

Lots to think about as I wade through a pile of books.

2 comments:

Kimberly/lectitans said...

What an excellent thing to think about! I went to a play this weekend and was immensely impressed by the set dressing because it was clear the designers had thought about this. There were piles of dirty clothes all over, and defunct pieces of electronics haphazardly stacked on one another in laundry baskets. Before the lights came up, I already knew something about the characters I was about to see.

Sheri said...

Hip... I do this too! I actually just drew a picture of my protagonist's house and the floor plans. Nothing too elaborate, but I needed to know, for myself, where things were and if my writing made sense in the physical world too. Next, I want to draw a map of the house, barn, etc so I can see the lay-out of the land too.

Ahhh the things we do to deepen our writing...