Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

The Possibilities of Youth

Middle Child worked on her first grade "All About Me" project these past couple of days. I'm a big believer in letting my children do their own projects, so I really didn't think I needed to do anything hands on with her on this, except help with spelling. I didn't take into account all the pictures she wanted to paste onto her poster board documenting her life from babyhood to present time.

Thank goodness for color copiers. After a bit of negotiation, MC had a great selection of photos and artwork she could cut and paste onto her project; my collection of memorabilia remained safe from sticky fingers.

MC also worked on her list of favorite things for the project. Here is her list:

Favorite Book: Junie B. Jones
Favorite Subject: Reading, P.E.
Pet: Dog (pleez Mommy?)
Food: Candy Apple
Hobby: Arts and Crafts
TV Show: Hannah Montana
When I grow up, I would like to be President.

"Why do you want to be President?"

"Well. I really want to help other kids like me who are allergic to different kinds of food. If I were President I would be able to make new laws and make everyone listen to me."

Oh my. Needless to say, she wants to visit the White House.

14 comments:

Patty P said...

Sooo cute! I love the sunflowers. I think your daughter would make a lovely president!

Susan T. said...

Oh, I love that flower painting! Hat tip to the artist!

PJ Hoover said...

I want to visit the White House!
I love kid's projects!

Kelly said...

Pretty! Great work, #2. (Sounds like she wants to run for Empress, though.)

Christine M said...

When my brother worked in DC we got to visit the White House - private tour. Very cool. Went out in the rose garden, went into the press room.

MotherReader said...

My girls both did their "Star of the Week" project in second grade that involved a lot of photos and artwork. Last month I put each of the posters in IKEA frames for the wall in the playroom/computer room/junk room. They make me smile.

Becky Levine said...

I love her confidence. Not just about being president, but about wanting to have all the pictures of her, just really going for it. Very cool!

Callipygia said...

Food is clearly an important issue! I can't help giggling over the answer, "so people would listen to me"! White House or Bust.

Liz in Ink said...

I hope as president she promises everyone some candy -- I mean an apple -- in every pot. :)

Blink said...

As a teacher it does my heart good to hear a parent say, "I'm a big believer in letting my children do their own projects..." This is the way to celebrate where each child is "at". With this gift of childhood, I believe she will make it to her dream job.

The Cole Mine said...

I love to hear what kids have to say!

She sounds like a wise gal indeed!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

I love the sunflower painting! When I read posts like this, I'm reminded of the wonderful career I had as a teacher in an elementary school. I really enjoyed doing art and writing projects with my students.

I hope your daughter has an opportunity to visit the White House some time in the not-too-distant future.

Jennifer said...

Love the painting! Confident and fresh. She sounds like a great kid. :-)

Little Willow said...

Adorable art, adorable answers.