Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

In Which I Find Deer Ticks...Again...

Remember last year, when a pesky deer tick embedded itself in my little one's crook of her arm?  Yesterday morning, I found a tick embedded in my knee. I freaked out and my husband, pulled the darn thing out. Later on in the afternoon, I felt something crawl on the back of my neck. When I reached to grab it, I became a little concerned. It was a wandering tick. I thought deer ticks didn't appear until the warm weather, but then again, as my husband reminded me, we do live in an area where deer like to roam. 

I never knew what a deer tick looked like until last year, when little one had one on her.  In case you need a description--the tick body is black and the size and shape of a sesame seed.  As you can see from the picture, there are eight legs.  In case you'd like information on how to remove deer ticks, go here.

This may be gross to some of you, but I had to take this picture of the ticks so you could see the difference in size--one is kind of engorged with blood, the other had no such luck.  The lighting was a little off--the little tick is actually black.  




10 comments:

Mary Lee said...

You're making me thankful for our 15 inches of snow...and nervous that it doesn't mean diddley when it comes to ticks!

:: Suzanne :: said...

EEEEWwwwwww

Becky Levine said...

Yeah, they're freaky. And for hours afterward, you "feel" them crawling all over. Ick.

Robin Brande said...

Guh-ross. But good idea linking to the page on how to avoid and remove them!

sheila said...

When I was 9 and at a weekend Guide camp I got one of those in my armpit. My older sister rushed me off to the leaders for advice. Everyone still smoked in those days, and to this second I still remember Aunt Lil (the leader) sticking the end of her cigarette on the end of the tick's bum to encourage him to come out. He did, too, but it took me ages to recover from having a lit cigarette stuck in my armpit!

jules said...

Do you know that if I EVER find a tick on me, I will pass. the. freak. out? I'm so serious. They terrify me. I'm a big wuss around most bugs (roaches make me hyperventilate -- I think I might have a real phobia), but finding a tick on me? You will be able to hear me scream from Tennessee.

Or if I find one on my kids.

So sorry. I hope you don't get any more. Durn.

bjnewman said...

Oh, boy, now I am going to worry...living in the same town!

Watch out for those red rings--sign of Lyme's...

Callipygia said...

these are disgusting Viv...luckily they look in tact!

adrienne said...

I'm not usually squeamish about bugs, but the very notion of a tick makes me break out in a cold sweat. I've never seen one IRL, but if I did, I think you'd hear me screaming, too. Just the idea of something that wants to EMBED ITSELF IN MY SKIN. Ew, ew, ew. They make horror movies about that kind of thing.

Zoe said...

You know, tick bites are no joke, with the increase in Lyme disease in recent years. You should check out www.ticktubes.com. The tubes really seem to work. I found quite a few ticks on my dog one season, and when a friend and neighbor was diagnosed with Lyme, I figured I had to do something. I haven't noticed any ticks since I started to spread them around.