Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Are Books Recession-Proof?

I found this recent article in Publisher's Weekly.  I'm going to remain optimistic and veer on the side that even with the economy being what it is, people are still going to want to read good books.  Be that as it may, it also stands to reason that fewer books may be published in the next couple of years and publishers will expect more from a manuscript.  

So, if you're submitting manuscripts, polish those babies up and make sure they promise addictive eye candy to the reader.  Just my two cents.  

What do you think?    

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I've been thinking quite seriously about this issue lately, HWM. I think, however, that polished perfection isn't what will be required, but rather fail-proof entertainment value. I think fighting the fluff will be even more difficult than before. Tried-and-true series will be hot and celeb books will be hot.

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
You're right. The entertainment value is going to be key. I didn't even think about the celeb books and the tried-and-true series...

PJ Hoover said...

Hmmm. Eye candy. Will we be seeing more Gossip Girls?

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
I haven't read any of the Gossip Girls, so I can't judge this one.

Anonymous said...

Oh, great. So how is a newbie writer supposed to get in? This is depressing.

HipWriterMama said...

Anonymous,
I didn't mean for this to depress anyone. Information is key, and if you have a general idea of what's happening in the marketplace, it'll help you figure out what type of approach you need in your writing. Does this make sense?

sheila said...

Well, I'm sure this is just part and parcel of the whole need-to-have-it-now Facebook/Beebo/cellphone culture, but I remain optimistic that Kindles and video iPods will NOT replace the printed page. I agree with Kelly (above) that "fighting the fluff" will remain a chore, though. It reminds me of an article I read about video game developers and their attempts to get girls into the gamer market - they ended up trying all sorts of idiotic things, to no avail. Publishers are already going in that direction, and look where it got some of them. Now they're burned, poorer, and wary.

The Cole Mine said...

Thank you for the tip! I agree!

That said, I don't think anything can ever replace the experience of turning pages...especially where children and their favorite stories are concerned.

:)