Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2008

You Know it's Time for School to Start Again When...

four-year-old walked over and asked, "When are my sisters going back to school?" The other two girls were bickering with one another. Something about how one sister wanted the other to play a game and the other didn't want to.

"Monday," I said. I counted down the days. The two sisters shrieked past us, one chasing the other.

"Ugh!" she said and pulled herself onto my lap. "I can't wait to have my time with you again." I was surprised. She Worships, with a capital W, her two sisters. A door slammed. I closed my eyes. Little one covered her ears.

But, then, sometimes it's time to let go.

"Me too, little one, me too."
-------------

Our sentence of a week-long February vacation is almost complete. We had planned to visit my sister in New Hampshire, but got side tracked with bouts of conjunctivitis, colds, asthma, vomiting, sinus infections, sleepless nights, lots of antibiotics and the obvious side effects of whines and complaints from the There is nothing to do and This is the "boringest" vacation in the world syndromes.

Sick seven and nine-year-olds with friends on thrilling vacation trips to Disney World and exotic ski locales are tough critics.

At least we were able to go to Harvard University's Museum of Natural History earlier in the week. The kids loved it. Easy to maneuver with children and lots of cool things for them to learn about. Geodes, minerals, elements , meteors, dinosaurs, bugs, birds, animals...it was great.

I also learned one important lesson this week. I finally figured out how to put antibiotic drops into four-year-old's eyes without having to chase her all over the house. I put them in her eyes when she was sleeping. So much easier if you think outside the box.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

9 comments:

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

It sounds like you had your hands full during school vacation week!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I must say (old-fogey harumphing begins), I don't recall ever getting a break from school in the middle of February, and I would have welcomed it. I also didn't get a long, cushy semester break or spring break like my child does nowadays. Having a break from school drives us all a little wiggy.

HipWriterMama said...

Elaine,
The end is in sight...I still can't believe our schools have this February vacation. We have another week vacation in April.

Alkelda,
I don't remember these types of breaks from school either. There should be a funny song in this..."Let's go wiggy."

Becky Levine said...

You're a genius. Where were you all those years ago when I was chasing my son around the house with the eye dropper?!

Hang in there. The week's almost over. And at least they're healthy enough to go back to school. :)

Kaleb said...

Haha! They had fun at Harvard. You're setting them up for success.

Little Willow said...

Aw.

PJ Hoover said...

The sneaky mom putting the medicine in while sleeping. Sleep is a gift from God.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Back to school today! I am so very thrilled.

I just realized this morning that I can't remember the last time I slept until I wasn't tired anymore.

Cloudscome said...

I'll have to remember that eye drop trick! I hope you are all back to full strength by now. Blessings.