Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Valentine's Wish for You

I know I'm going to sound like a curmudgeon, but at the risk of it, I'll tell you what's on my mind. I'm not sure why we need to have a Valentine's Day.  Say, what?  Yes, you read this correctly.

While it's sweet and all that we have one day dedicated to acknowledge the love we have for the special person in our life, and vice versa, for some reason, it just seems so lame to me.  The fact we need a day that nudges someone to say "I Love You."  Please.  If the person doesn't show you in so many ways on a daily basis already, why should a day advertised to be the most romantic day of the year, make it different?  Because commercials tell us so?

What about all the people who are single, who don't have a special person to share this day with.  Does it make them less important? This is where I find this whole Valentine's Day to be so flawed. There is the power of suggestion that if you're loved, you should expect flowers, candy, jewelry, a romantic dinner.  And if you don't....well, you decide.  

There's not a whole lot of empowerment there for people who wait and wait until their expectations are met, exceeded or shattered.  And for this to happen because of a holiday, that just plain bites.  

So, this is my Valentine's Day wish for you.  Take this day to respect and honor yourself.  Make this about you first, then focus on your loved ones.  But get that extra fifteen minutes to enjoy a cup of coffee.  Take the time to pamper yourself or go for that jog you're always talking about.  

If my words don't encourage you, then take a few minutes to listen to this powerful song, "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera. 

You are Beautiful.  You are important.  Honor and respect yourself. Be kind to yourself.  Show yourself the love. 

Go and have a great Valentine's Day.  On your terms.

10 comments:

m. thompson said...

I want her legs! That song makes me cry every time I hear it.

Thanks for a reminder that I am important. It made my day.

Anonymous said...

Amen. Valentine's Day still reminds me of my high school days when the popular girls would get carnations to pin on their blouses.

Anonymous said...

"If the person doesn't show you in so many ways on a daily basis already, why should a day advertised to be the most romantic day of the year, make it different?"

"Honor and respect yourself."

You're so right. I needed to see that. Thank you.

Becky Levine said...

Here, here. There were many years I hated Valentine's day, both when I was alone and when I wasn't, but fretted about whether the Significant Other was treating me "right." Now I get my boys a big hunk of chocolate, because I want to, and don't fret it.

But it was fun doing a book love post at the blog today! So I guess I did just what you say, I made the day mine!

MotherReader said...

I'm not a huge Valentine Day fan, but I'm not against it either. Now that I'm a grown-up, I like watching my kids enjoy getting their class Valentines and their class party.

This year I made my husband promise that we'd keep it very low key - especially given that I'm working until 9:00 tonight.

A friend sent along a video that I posted today (must be the day for it) that is very sweet about lots of people and the people they love. (I'll have to watch yours at home since it won't play here at work).

B. Johansen Newman said...

Valentine's Day always reminds me of the fifties and big old books of valentines to cut or punch out and give to classmates. Somehow it never meant too much for actual sweethearts when I got old enough to have one!

Back to the present--you always create powerfully thoughtful prompts to keep us all pluggin' away. Thank you.

On a more superficial note, I am not saying I need CA's thighs, mind you, but, I would feel considerably more beautiful if I could find my waist...

Barbjn

Erin said...

You're so right.

That's a really great song.

I don't think we need a Valentine's Day. And I'm not being bitter or anything by saying that (I've got plenty of lurv in my life)! I just don't think you should need a day that dictates telling/showing someone you love them. Like you said.

PJ Hoover said...

Wow - I love this holiday :) I get to wear pink and red and there's always so much candy. It's like Halloween but the colors are different.

Does this mean I shouldn't send you the Valentine e-greeting?

:)

I love the advice to do something special for yourself today!

Cloudscome said...

I put V. Day in the same catagory as Halloween. It's all about the candy and the kid's class parties. I could do with out the whole thing but I like seeing them have fun. I did give myself permission to break my Lenten vow and eat chocolate. I felt sick afterwards so I am even more glad I gave up chocolate for Lent.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I think Valentine's Day should be a designated "Catch up on your correspondence" day, since St. Valentine delivered letters. I know I certainly need to write to people with whom I've lost touch. In Valentine's Days past, I'd get myself little presents. You know, just to show I cared.;)

xoxo