Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Consumerism and Beauty Tips

A sad sign of the times? I found out about this one from Kelly...a kidlit discussion and Tadmack's amazing rant on product placement in children's books. Based on this article.

HarperCollins Childrens Books will publish a new book series aimed to tweens ages 8-12 years old.  Companies will have a chance to sponsor the books in the series.  The payoff is their products will be in front of a new generation of consumers. If you think you have a problem now with your tweens begging for those name brand products, have no fear, help has arrived.

Let's make consumerism even more of a problem for girls, so they grow up into women who measure themselves and others by what they have or have not.  Is the almighty dollar that much more important than the well-being of kids?  

And surely if it's so easy for girls to be told what to buy if they want to fit into the right group, it only makes sense that they'll grow into women who will believe they don't look pretty enough or young enough.  Take a look at all those magic bottles and miracle creams that are supposed to lift, disguise and brighten the face...

Things women think about at...ahem...my age...and really shouldn't have to.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

It's a cute clip, HWM, but in all this discussion about product placement in young adult books, it reminds me that she [Cabot] product places in some of her books!

P.S. I LOVE your avatar Alkelda did for you. I forgot to leave a comment, but it's just sooooo cute :)

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
The avatar is cute, isn't it? Alkelda sent me another avatar with HWM on it...my kids think it is so cool.

I missed this discussion! I'll put the link in this post. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Megan Germano said...

She is so funny! This just cracked me up and frightened me into nightly Vaseline applications.

HipWriterMama said...

Megan,
Meg is funny, isn't she? My mom used to coat her face with Vaseline and then give herself a steam facial. She has beautiful skin.

Robin Brande said...

HWM, I love what you, Kelly, and TadMack all have to say about this. And I hate the idea so much, because I know how susceptible I was (and am) to just this kind of thing.

And why can't I see your avatar? What am I missing?