Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Inspiration Monday: Visualize Your Goal and Check In

I was inspired by Liz Garton Scanlon's post, The Exercise of Writing: Metaphor Olympics and Sara Lewis Holme's post, The Exercise of Writing: Playing the Game, last week. While I'm not the most athletic individual, I can appreciate the beauty of sport as well as the inspiration from determined and focused athletes. It is a wonder and a honor to watch an athlete so into their visualization, so into their moment, they are unaware of anyone else around them.

Don't know of what I write? See it in action for yourself. Watch any sport--track, figure skating, hockey, swimming, basketball, tennis, gymnastics, football, baseball, or anything else you enjoy. Then do yourself a favor and look at the athletes.

Look into any athlete's face and see what is emanating deep from their soul. It's easy to see who wants the medal, the trophy, the win. It shines all over their face, in the intensity of their eyes, in the focus of their attention, the determination of every movement, in every breath. Unfortunately, it's also easy to see the athlete who lost their momentum and for a few seconds, lost their visualization. All it takes is that split second of uncertainty, and the edge is gone.

I posted before on how important it is to visualize your goal. Liz and Sara's week of posts and Big Round 'em Up List remind me even more, how vital visualization is to our goals and dreams. Oh, yeah. Gotta add something of cinematic proportions to encourage the worthiness of all the pain and sweat of our efforts and hard work. I remember reading somewhere on how determined athletes visualize their wins, so much they go through the play-by-play motion. When they train. When they walk around on their errands. They live it. They breathe it. They dream it. Every precious second is accounted for in their memory. Their muscles are committed to every movement, their brains are focused.

These athletes have lived the win every day for as long as they remember. They have trained hard for this dream. Every inch of their being knows the sweet sense of the win. They can feel the weight of the trophy, the embrace of the medal around their neck. They can see and hear the crowds cheering from the sidelines, shouting out their names. There is no doubt in their minds--by the end of the day, they are going to have that medal or that trophy in hand.

So, for this Inspiration Monday...Visualize your goal. Keep it front and center. Work hard. Then work harder. Visualize your end results. You gotta believe it, get your arms around the nitty gritty details you need to work through to reach your goal, and see the play-by-play moves. You've got to want it so much you live your dream while you train. And then train harder. Live it and breathe it. See it and believe it.

Because. You have an amazing idea. You are smart enough. You are talented enough. You can work it and bring it on. Visualize your goal. See the little steps you need to take and the minute details of what you visualize when you've captured your dream. You can do it. I believe you can.

Which leads me to how I did this week in the 2008 New Year's 30 Day Challenge. Last week, I gathered up the comments from my awesome on-line critique group, and revised the first three chapters of my WIP. Which led me to revising my next few chapters. So, technically, while I didn't really add many words, I'm happy with my progress. I've got six chapters that I'm almost done fiddling with. Plus I've worked out more on the plot line and character development. And I know my ending! Hopefully, this will make the rest of the manuscript easier to write.

How did you all do? Remember to leave a comment to be considered for the prize. If you have trouble leaving a comment, then send me an e-mail (hipwritermama at comcast dot net) with your progress. We are almost done! The finish line is approaching...The final check-in is this Thursday, January 31st by 11pm EST. See you at the finish line!

24 comments:

laurasalas said...

I'm still on track, but losing momentum a little bit. That's because I'm now into the really hard part--writing. I'm into my second draft, and am only doing a few pages each day during my 30 minutes. But at least it's on my mind daily.

Your encouragement today has inspired me to do two things: 1) Write down what I dream/visualize will happen with this manuscript; and 2) Vow to look at the calendar and pick a week soon where I can devote 3-4 hours per day to it.

Thanks!

Christine M said...

This week was more about revisions than writing. And I did log my 30 minutes (at least) - most days. Friday and Saturday - none at all. But I think it was good to just put it aside for a couple of days. I tackled it some more on Sunday - with good results.

I didn't sent out any queries this week - but I did research and find one or two places I want to send them to.

Christine M said...

Oh - and Vivian - good for you for how much you got done this week! Congrats!

HipWriterMama said...

Laura,
Glad this post was helpful to you. And the fact you're writing is great! Good luck with your WIP.

Also, on a side note, I'm glad you reserved I am the Wallpaper. I loved this book. You might want to read this one first though, depending on the content you're comfortable about your daughter reading. There isn't any profanity that I can remember, just some internet activity that could be girl's nightmare. And Floey, the protagonist, handles it like a pro and makes sure the boys get their just reward. Humor and angst works so well in this book. I should add this to my post, now that I'm thinking of it.

----

Chris,
Thanks! Glad you've worked on revisions and gave yourself time to strategize. Good luck!

Linda said...

Made better progress this week. I didn't. I missed a few days, but worked hard over the weekend to make up for it.
Your post today is very inspiring. I can't wait to get home and write!

Pieces of Me said...

Oops! Almost forgot to sign in for today!I was progressing well until Thursday until my son's teacher called and I had to take my son to the doctor. I was scared and overwhelmed afraid I wouldn't have any 'me' time and writing time.

I tried very hard to squeeze some book writing time, but I couldn't do anything on thursday - I was a nervous wreck. But by Friday, things mellowed a bit and I was able to write an hor or two. The weekend prolonged, but I still kept trying to squeeze it in with other activities around my son. Now I am hopefully back on a schedule.

I managed to identify some serious holes to my book's format, made adapted changes, and am now revising chapter two , again. I hope to send the proposal out by Friday of this week! That would be lovely.

I also managed to target marketing venues by contacting colleges and universities around the world. I got one semi-syllabus. I'm still waiting for others. It's a long arduous process. I'm back now to reading your blog entry for today.

HipWriterMama said...

Linda,
Yay for progress! Here's to a great week.
----

Dorit,
Wow, you've got quite a bit accomplished. I hope your son is okay. Good luck getting your proposal out this week.

m. thompson said...

This is such a great post. Thanks for the inspiration.

Sara Latta said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I love the yoga/writing connection, myself. One of the guiding principles of yoga is ahimsa, or non-violence and compassion. I remind myself of it whenever I'm writing about a character who is not particularly likable. Thinking about that character with ahimsa helps make the villain much more three-dimensional--and believable! And I have to practice ahimsa with myself when I don't meet my writing goals. So instead of kicking myself, I changed my goals and as a result I made great progress in my revisions!

beckylevine said...

I did pretty well last week. Got all the chapters I needed drafted & to my writing partner. He shot a lot of them back at me with lots of comments & new info, so this week I start revising and adding. I'm going to work on the first three chapters as a clump, since those are our first deliverable to the publisher.

This challenge has been wonderful for keeping me on track. Thanks, Vivian. And congrats to everybody on their work!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

My fingers continue to limber-up slowly in regard to barreing chords, but it is a bit incredible to be able to do something that seemed almost impossible a month ago. I am reminded of the first time I realized I could stretch my fingers to do a C chord without any strain on my part. (When you're just starting out in guitar, that C chord can seem hard to reach, which is why I don't understand why some guitar books start out with that chord.) I've also been working on a jazz-style of playing some songs that requires lifting up and pressing down on the strings in a way that the fingers do become strengthened. I'm hoping that these barred chords will bring a greater versatility to the songs I can perform at my musical storytelling gigs.

HipWriterMama said...

M. Thompson,
Thanks!
-----

Sara,
Ahimsa sounds very cool. Wishing you good ahimsa as you progress with your revisions.
-----

Becky,
Glad you kept on track with this Challenge. Sounds like you're going to meet your deadline. Good luck!
-----

Alkelda,
Ooohhh. A jazz style of playing? Sounds great. Glad you're practicing those barre chords. I'm pleased you've made great progress.

Linda said...

I got home a little early from school today so I started writing right after dinner. I made an outline for the poems I've been writing during the challenge, and I worked on a contest entry. It's nearly 8 PM here, I got in almost two hours of writing! I think I'll have a cup of tea to celebrate.

Robin Brande said...

What a great post! I especially like your point about looking at the athletes' faces--you're absolutely right.

Thanks for the kick in the pants. I need to focus more than I do.

Thank you!

PJ Hoover said...

Checking in! Not drinking as much water as I should, but it's forefront in my mind. Which is important!

KB said...

I feel great! I've been able to stick to the new schedule, even though it still isn't easy! I bought a new pair of pants as a reward! Although the slight weight loss is great, the beauty is in the feeling of power that I've gained. I feel so much stronger and, of course, that carries over into how I project myself too!

Franki said...

It was a great week. I am getting used to getting up at 4:45 AM--almost enjoying it. My knees hurt a bit this week but I iced and adviled and they seem much better now. Or better enough. 4 more days of BOOTCAMP and then a week between this one and the next round. A week to celebrate making it through that first month. I didn't lose all the weight I had hoped but that wasn't my goal. I wanted to make this a habit I could stick with. I did. Lots of added perks--energy, lower stress, etc. My post with my detailed updates is at www.readingyear.blogspot.com

Liz in Ink said...

Thanks for the tip of the hat, HWM. This is a great and inspiring post -- and all your commenters!!! Wahoo to you and you and you...

HipWriterMama said...

Linda,
Two hours of writing--so great! Here's to continued momentum!
-----

Robin,
Thanks! And good luck with your writing!
-----

Tricia,
Here's to more water!
-----

KB,
Oooh. To be able to buy a new pair of pants as a reward! That's awesome! Congrats!
------

Franki,
You've been doing so great. You must be proud of yourself. Here's to more Boot Camp!
-----

Liz,
Thanks for the inspiration.

Kelly said...

Checking in (late). I'm on top of the e-mail!! So happy :)

Can't wait to read the next chapters, HWM!!

Patty Palmer said...

Such a great post. This site is great for my motivation! I looked at the link regarding writing with sports metaphors in mind. My protagonist is a gymnast, so I think about related metaphors all the time, but I'm afraid I could do better.
Keep up with the writing and revisions count, don't they?

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
Yay for getting the e-mail under control!
-----

Patty,
Glad you liked this post. And you're right, revisions should count towards writing. Now I feel better.

jmprince said...

I was so busy this week, that everything but revisions on my novel and on my Highlights contest entry were totally put on the back burner...and some things burned to a crisp.
The good news is, my entry is out the door today (just under the deadline), and novel revisions are moving along at a steady clip.
In addition, I'm super-excited about my newest novel idea (I'm currently journaling from the perspective of my main character), and also a new PB idea.
*whew*
It's been a great ride this month, and I thank you for the challenge!

N.A. Nelson said...

Yikes, I'm a little late, but I have a good excuse...I've been at Disney World with a 4 year old and a 6 year old for the last 5 days and although I took my laptop SPECIFICALLY to check in on Monday...alas, it was not to be. Blame it on Mickey, Minnie and that crazy Goofy fellow. To be honest, it was really the princesses that kept us busy. Anyway, I did work on my WIP on the plane! And I am very happy with the revisions I made based on my critique group's suggestions. I'm back in the zone. Yay! Thanks for holding the challenge!

Nina