Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Shout Out for All the Wonderful Authors Out There Contest starts today!


Isn't this little sock monkey the cutest? I made her special--just for this contest. Yes. I made this Writer's Muse Sock Monkey Fairy all by myself. Handstitched and everything. A total, total labor of love. Of course my children have discovered her, and have been trying to figure out how to sneak her past heavily guarded doors...so you must save her....

A few disclosures about my sock monkey--
1. She is handsewn so there will be a few uneven stitches here and there. But she's so pretty...
2. There are buttons and other little ornamental items sewn on. Do not give to a baby or child to play with...Writer's Muse Sock Monkey Fairy is not a toy.
3. She will have a wand very soon so she can give you gentle reminders to keep working and inspire you to weave your own spell with words...

Lisa Yee, had mentioned here and here, of how sock monkeys can help ease writer's block. And since we had the WBBT going on last week and featured just some of the incredible authors out there, and Lisa Yee loves contests, and I've had some wonderful authors who graciously allowed me to interrogate them with tons of questions, and I have some more authors patiently waiting for me to put their questions together for some new interviews................it only seemed fitting to hold a contest in honor of all the authors out there who have created incredible characters we have fallen in love with--whether we loved to hate the characters, we have wanted to be like them or whether we have fallen in love with the characters. Phew...I know, this was quite a mouthful of a long sentence.

Here are the rules for the Shout Out for All the Wonderful Authors Out There Contest:
1. Think of an author's name (living, dead), and create a character name from their name and cool personality of the character. Or if you want, create a whole new world, a city, a cool hang out place, etc. Use your imagination.

2. Leave a comment here about your new creation. And you are free to do what you wish with your new character, place, etc. after this...hopefully you will be inspired to create a new manuscript or add to a current one!

3. The deadline for the contest will be Sunday, November 18th at 11:00pm, EST.

4. I will pick a winner from the entries. The winning prize is this Writer's Muse Sock Monkey Fairy designed by moi. Look into her pretty shell eyes.........You know you want her. Save her from some children who are conspiring to kidnap her and she will be ever grateful and will bestow good writing juju to you. And all you have to do is be a little creative to honor an author.

Who's game?

10 comments:

Tricia said...

Vivian,
You are too talented! I'll have to put my thinking cap on for this one. And as for your girls, my son would be right there with them conspiring to kidnap this fabulous monkey, tutu and all!

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
I can't wait to see what you come up with!

--------------
And M. Thompson...I have your entry from last week right here (from when I originally started this contest and then decided to post it this week instead due to the long holiday weekend):

M. Thompson's entry:
I'm a huge fan of Markus Zusak. If I mix up his name a little, I've got a character named Marzuk. A mystical wizard with powerful ways of persuasion. I think I'm actually going to use this one in a manuscript!

Cloudscome said...

How about a 10 year old girl named Looney Lowery... she has a talent for seeing patterns and color combinations but her communication skills as sadly deficient. She gets into all sorts of difficulties at school but she is a wiz at computer graphics. Parents are divorced. She lives in Illinois with mom and dad lives in Hong Kong. (They email a lot). Little sis is autistic. She goes to an elite prep school and makes friends with a new kid who has been kicked out of four previous schools. I better stop here.

Sock Monkey, come to Mama!

m. thompson said...

HWM,
Thanks for adding Marzuk. I want the sock monkey!

Lisa C. said...

Wow, I had no idea about the power of sock monkeys! I wonder if it works with sock dogs, too? I just made my first on Sunday. I better set that puppy to work!

Lisa C. said...

I meant to say in that previous comment... Your sock monkey fairy is absolutely adorable. Cute, cute, cute, and I'm sure extremely effective!

SamRiddleburger said...

Yeeha! for making your own monkey. (And dog.) Hand-stitched sock monkeys have more gravitas.

As for the contest, our Sock Monkey won't let me enter it due to his petty jealousy of othe rmonkeys.
However, may I point out that the young artist in Qwikpick wasn't named Dave RASKIN for nothing.

Also, if you wanted to make a name out of Dickens, you might spell it backwards which would be
Snekcid, prononced Lemony Snickett! Coincidence?

Mrs.T said...

The Sock Monkey is adorable; who wouldn't want it?

Isabela Hawthorne is a direct descendant of Nathaniel Hawthorne. Well, by adoption anyway. Lila Hawthorne adopted Isabela at age 5 from her native Guatemala. Having the Hawthorne name might not be a bad thing if it didn’t draw all that unwanted attention from her 9th grade English teacher, especially when Isabela struggles to read 4th grade reading material; she was recently diagnosed with dyslexia. Will she overcome her learning disability? Will she learn to feel truly part of her white, literary adoptive family? Can she find her own unique voice and make it heard among the din of conflicting expectations?

Anonymous said...

Oooo! Sock Monkey says she's mine.

I love Rachel Cohn's books and think there should be the Cohn Institute for Wayward Girls. The perfect place to send teen girls who need some rest and relaxation from their stressed out lives.

Sue Daniels

Tricia said...

Okay sock fairy, come to Miss Rumphy . . .

Let me introduce Silver Stein, a feisty 13-year old girl with a talent for cartooning, spoonerisms and waxing rhapsodic. She is a dreamer who isn't discouraged by Whatifs. She and her friend Ursula sell homemade books (written and illustrated by Silver, published by Ursula) in the summer instead of lemonade. Someday they're both going to make it big.