Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, October 5, 2007

Poetry Friday: A Mug, Some Shakespeare and A Smile

It all started with a few spelling errors in a marketing proof I received from an advertising company. I corrected it, sent it back, then got it back later with some more errors. This went on a couple more times. I said a few choice words. All I needed was a black pointed hat to accompany my foul mood. Thankfully, things got straightened out. But, it was pretty painful.

I'm a Spelling Queen. I kid you not. While I have to fiddle around at times with grammar and punctuation, spelling is one of those things that just comes naturally to me. Forget about spell check. You want to know how to spell something, call me. Everyone else I know does. Seriously.

So it was quite the pleasant surprise when I found a square cardboard box outside my front door yesterday afternoon. Remember when Sara Lewis Holmes had a Poetry Friday Giveaway? I won! The amazing thing was that Sara chose my number then tried out a random number generator. Both results came up with my number. Luck or Fate? Hmmm. Here's a picture of the cool mug from poets.org.

Now here's the other side of the mug. Isn't it fun? Doesn't it make you smile? The poets featured on the mug are Edgar Allan Poe, Sylvia Plath, William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Third grader was intrigued by this mug and had lots of questions about the poets. Sara, thank you so much for this wonderful mug. This really made my day.

I remembered this great piece from Shakespeare's Macbeth and read it out loud to my daughter. She loved it. In celebration of October, my earlier witchy mood, a cool mug and Fate...

The Three Witches
by William Shakespeare

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.
Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

Emily from Whimsy Books is hosting Poetry Friday today. She shares a sweet, original poem called Turtling. Go check it out and all the other Poetry Friday submissions.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Now I know why the mug wanted to come to your house..it looks so happy in that picture! :)

So glad you liked it, and that your third-grader was intrigued. How cool is that?

And yeah for young people loving Shakespeare!

HipWriterMama said...

Sara,
I had my first cup of coffee in the new mug. Delicious! Now, I need some inspiration from these legends who have a way with words...

Liz in Ink said...

I posted the SAME poetry today!

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Great minds think alike! I'm going right over to say hello!

Erin said...

I LOVE that mug! So cool.

And I adore, adore, adore the Shakespeare. I really need to read Macbeth before Halloween. :)

TadMack said...

I think this is a month of synchronicity. Not the same sonnet, but I was in a Shakespearian frame of mind today as well. :) Cheers to the new mug!

jama said...

Shakespeare is pretty potent stuff; he charmed your daughter (and dissolved your bitchy mood)! Love the mug, too. Gave it to a friend last Christmas. She's majoring in English and Sylvia Plath is her favorite poet.

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

Wow, hadn't read that passage since my reading of Macbeth in my college Shakespeare class. That's a memory!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

The review I posted Monday at 5minutesformom is a novel about a woman who is a copy editor. You might like it. She gets joy from her little blue pencil, too.