Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

Inspiration Monday: 30 Challenge Check-In

Time for the first check-in for the Get Back on Track 30 Day Challenge. I can't believe how quickly this past week went.

Talk about busy. Two of my children started school last week. There was much to do to make sure homework was done, schedules kept, study areas organized, errands completed. I kept thinking I'd have time to write while the kids were in school, but settled for working in the evening, as I tend to do, once everyone was asleep.

Of course, this wasn't a foolproof plan. Because I was tired. So tired, I fell asleep while reading bedtime stories to the little one, two nights in a row. So tired, that when I woke up, I thought about getting up to write, but decided my beauty sleep was far more important.

But, instead of 30 minutes of writing each day, I managed to write an hour for five days. So technically, it averages out like I wrote each day...nothing like a little justification. I'm pleased with my progress so far.

How did you do?

10 comments:

m. thompson said...

I'm almost finished with the first draft of my MG project. I can't believe this! Hopefully I'll finish it this week...

Christine M said...

I did at least 30 minutes most days - but I completely forgot about it on Saturday. Nothing like the first weekend of the school year to throw a routine off. But - like you my time averaged out. So, I'm good.

HipWriterMama said...

M-
Glad you're almost done. You're on your way!

----
Chris,
I know what you mean. I forgot about all the craziness of the beginning of school. I'm so glad were able to work on your writing...can't wait to see how things turn out!

Liz in Ink said...

I bailed out over the weekend -- girl's birthday, allergies, dust bunnies. But I'm moving along and settling in to write right now!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Well, I can't say that I could comfortably perform live "City of New Orleans" and "The Garden Song" by memory, but I'm on my way, and I figured out the chords to "Wild, Wild Party in the Loquat Tree" by the Indigo Girls. None of these songs are ones I'd perform live anyway without the appropriate permissions, but it was good to give myself permission to stretch a bit beyond the 3 chord songs I usually play for birthday parties and such. As far as stories go-- I've been thinking about stories. I haven't actually learned any new ones yet, though I'll be interested to see how a Halloween storytime stretch goes over next month.

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Hope your little one had an amazing birthday.

-----
Alkelda,
What fun it must be to combine music and storytelling. Can't wait to hear one of your Halloween stories.

Casey said...

I actually walked everyday. It was the not eating meat that was hard over the weekend. I gorged out on grilled steak and really felt it all night.

Candace Salima (LDS Nora Roberts) said...

I'm 75% finished with the book proposal. Over 10,000 words on the manuscript and trying to write 4,000 words a day. Doing okay so far.

MotherReader said...

Here's what I did. I made my bed every day.

But one of the days I was so exhausted that I climbed right back into it after taking the kids to school.

But then I made it again.

The real point of for me this month is to get my kids to make their beds, to get them to acquire this one good habit of making our space more pleasant. The grand plan is for all of us to AT THE LEAST put things back. Make the bed. Put clothes in the hamper, not the floor. Hang up the towels. Put dishes in the sink, or better yet, the dishwasher. We've been working on the dishes thing for a year, and I still have to remind them. It's got to get better, right?

HipWriterMama said...

MotherReader,
Oh dear. My household sounds quite a bit like yours. My eight-year-old thrives on organization and is getting quite good at picking up after herself...or at least shoving it outside her room. The other two could care less about neatness. But keep on letting your kids help you. It will absolutely get better.

---
Candace,
That's awesome...4,000 words a day. I'm impressed!

---
Casey,
Good for you on gettin your walk in everyday. That's on my list...