Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Inspiration Monday: Anticipate, Anticipate, Anticipate

Earlier this summer, my old laptop crashed, taking everything in it...pictures of my kids, manuscripts, everything. I had a few things saved on disks, but not everything. You'd think I'd learn.

But no. I got too comfortable with my new refurbished laptop and saved things on disk when I remembered, but since it was in great condition, I figured there was nothing to worry about. I neglected to factor in emergencies like viruses and worms. Oh yeah. Thankfully, I was able to retrieve most of my work. I need to look on this bright side otherwise I'm gonna cry over a couple of revisions...

To make a long story short, save your files on a regular basis to a place other than your hard drive. There are on-line storage files. You can burn things into a CD. Ask around to find out what other people recommend. Just save everything.

The moral of this story: If you anticipate complications ahead of time, you can use preventive measures to fight off problems that will postpone your progress. Now I'll go find my Magic 8 ball and hang my head in shame.

7 comments:

SevenImpossible said...

Oh, this is my nightmare. Thanks for the reminder!

Jules, 7-Imp

Jen Barney said...

oh my! I have never really saved anything on a disk- I will have to do so..

Megan Germano said...

I had the exact same thing happen to me this summer. My old iBook pooped out taking with it a large amount of "STUFF." Important to only myself, but that is the point. I will never forget the pictures I looked at every so often :( tear...

Liz in Ink said...

One time I lost everything in Outlook. All my contacts. All my saved emails. All my calendar dates. Everything. And now here I am, all lazy and nonchalant again. I will back up tonight, I will back up tonight, I will, I will, I will....

eisha said...

Oh, you poor thing! That's truly awful. Something kinda similar happened to me last year when Microsoft suddenly decided that the version of Windows I had wasn't "valid" even though it came with my computer. I had to reinstall it, which meant I lost almost everything. It just leaves you feeling so lost, doesn't it?

I keep meaning to get a 2nd harddrive for emergency storage. Thanks for the reminder.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

This is such a headache, especially when you save things then to other places like discs, and something weird happens to the discs. I end up emailing copies of things to a number of my accounts, saving photos in Shutterfly, and the like.

In the end, it seems that the safest place for anything is the vegetable crisper in the refrigerator (remember Anastacia Krupnik?).

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Oh this is SO timely. My poor little laptop is so old and outdated (at 4 years old, LOL). I just bought an external disk drive, because my computer is dreadfully short on free disk space, so I plan to use it AND backup photos online as well.