Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2007

True Confessions

I have a confession to make. And please, don't jump all over me on this one. I didn't read any of the Harry Potter books before yesterday. Really.

I do have the books. All except the last one, which can wait. There were six HP books lined up all in a row, on a TBR shelf in a barely used, narrow closet of my home, so tempation didn't tease me too much.

Sure I've longed to read these books, but with so many other books that are out there, it has been easy to deflect temporary pangs of wishfulness. I've even seen a few of the movies, allowing myself the visual feast under my premise that most movies veer off the book path. And yes, I do have a general idea of what is going on with the books, but truly for me, the reading experience overshadows all that. But, I've had no interest in reading any of these books. Until now.

I have very little patience when it comes to books. Oh yes, I am a horrible book glutton. Every once in awhile, I find myself immersed in a great book, and then find out I have to wait a year or two for the next book to find out what happens next...Argh! Pure torture for me. So I'd rather wait until all the books are out, before gorging on incredible words that will leave me immersed in a whole new world until the final word.

I fear the only exception I have to make for the time being is with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series, which I started on a lark since I really didn't think I'd like it with the vampires and all. But I am now shamelessly addicted and will probably hopelessly wait for each and every book that is published.

However, I digress. While most people were out there grabbing the over 8 million copies of the final book (and this is only in the United States!), I was lounging around, reading the very first HP book. Content that now the the final book is published, I can read about Harry Potter until the very last word. And see for myself how much of a genius J.K. Rowling truly is. Wonderful, wonderful stuff. Of course, you all know this already.

Don't leave any spoilers to the ending here, but how many of you bought the book and finished it now?

18 comments:

Sarah Amick said...

I haven't read any of the books either. Just haven't been interested I guess. My cousin however was on the news on Friday night about getting his copy. He stayed up until 2:45 reading a lot that night. Funny thing, Saturday was the nicest weather day all year. Do you think that's God's irony after all those people have their books? (This is what the minister said on Sunday)!
Enjoy reading, I hear their great!

Lazy cow said...

I think there was a lot of negligent mothering going on in Australia over the weekend! I bought the book at K-Mart on the afternoon of the release (heaps of copies left!) and read 200 pages that night. It wasn't quite compelling enough to stay up all night! I read the rest on Sunday, in bed, while my husband kept the children away from me. Sigh. So sad it's all over. Enjoy the series.

jules said...

I'm with you. I found out I was pregnant when reading whatever book came out in '03 (don't remember which number that was), and I was too excited to finish (couldn't focus!) and haven't gone back. But one day, I want to start all over and read them in a big, log row.

jules said...

I meant to say "long row" . . .

ChatRabbit said...

We got our2 family copies at a midnight party; we are letting the kids read them first. They will read them much faster than the husband and I will, anyhow. I envy them their uninterrupted summer reading time!

Mary Lee said...

Got it at 12:01 am on Saturday, finished it at 4:22 pm on Sunday. (didn't read continuously the whole time, in case you're worried about my fluency)

Sigh.

I'll definitely reread them one right after another at some point in the future. I did that earlier this summer with the Prydain Chronicles, another great hero quest saga.

Odile S said...

We didn't buy a copy yet. My husband just started his holidays and yesterday my daughter and I went to the theater on location. It was a bycicle ride of 13 kilometers and a real learning experience. She will have plenty of time to read the last book. Later. (she also reads high speed)

Candace Salima . . . the LDS Nora Roberts said...

I started Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at 9:00 p.m. Saturday night and turned the last page at 3:46 a.m. Sunday. I haven't done that in decades but it was worth every page and my Harry Potter-lack-of-sleep hangover the next day.

I picked up Stephanie Myers first book thinking the same thing, and I am now in the same boat as you. Waiting for that August release date.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I am still waiting for my library copy. Of course, I wouldn't have had time to read it this weekend because I was working on (cue music, lights, drumrolls, etc)

THE CARNIVAL OF CHILDREN's LITERATURE!

Yee hah.

Liz in Ink said...

You've just been marching to your own drummer, Vivian, trends be damned. Enjoy the leisurely read(s)...

Lady S said...

I got the first two right after the second one came out in the US. When 5 came out I read 1-4 again. When 6 was released 1-4 again (couldn't handle 5). This time I read all 6 in the week and a half before 7 came out. I am really glad I did, as dark and devestating as 5 and 6 are, because I was reminded of everything that happened.

I read 7 from 4 pm Saturday (mine came by mail and I still had to finish 6) until 2:45 am Sunday. There was some disappointment in the epilogue, but other wise my husband and I both loved it.

I hope you love the series.

Erin said...

The entire series (yes, I've finished 7) is SPECTACULAR! You will not regret reading them all!

And what an ending...completely satisfactory. :)

Jen Robinson said...

I'm so envious that you have the whole series spread out ahead of you. I'm like you, too. It's so nice to have a full series to read, to know that you can read it at whatever pace you like. I've done that with other books, but obviously not with the Harry Potter books. And not with the Twilight books, either. Can't wait for Eclipse.

Jim D said...

OK.....confession time here too.
No, not about HP. I haven't read Twilight. Truth is I've got a Border's gift card burning a hole in my pocket and was going there tomorrow to buy it (prior to reading this). Now there's no doubt in my mind -- I can't tell you how many recommendations I've seen floating around!
Oh, as for Harry -- bought a copy Saturday and my daughter finished it same day. I'll take a bit longer.
Jim D.

B. Johansen Newman said...

Add me to the "Never read Harry" list. I think I also have most of them in the house, because they were given to my sons, but I could never bring myself to read them. So, with all the hoopla, I felt "Gee, maybe I should have."

But I am not really into fantasy at all, so my guess is that I probably won't. Were I a teen, I also doubt that the vampire books would do much for me.

:: Suzanne :: said...

all done by 7:30 am Saturday morning. It was great.

cloudscome said...

I am taking a week to read #7. I might finish it tonight if I can tear myself away from blogging. I almost don't want to finish it because I am enjoying being in the middle so much. It really is a great series. I don't know if I could read them all back to back though. That would pretty much drowned out the rest of life for a month. I am amazed at your restraint, waiting all these years to get the complete set before you begin.

Holly said...

I read the first two out loud to my children when they were first released. Then life in general took over, and I hadn't read any of the remaining series, although my husband did. Reading out loud to my kids, I seem to miss a lot of the comprehension myself - I'm too busy doing voices, etc. So following the release of #7, I began to listen to them, from the beginning, on my MP3 player - while doing dishes, house cleaning, cooking dinner, etc. I am halfway through #4 now, and I'm glad that I started from the beginning, and that I am do the entire series back to back, beginning to end. I read the Spiderwick series that way as well, and although they are MUCH shorter books, and I was reading them out loud to the kids, it was nice to start and end without other books getting in the way between.