Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, July 16, 2007

Inspiration Monday: Take Time for Yourself

Summer is a time I'd like to think would be slow and relaxing, but I've found myself more stressed these past few weeks. Isn't it sad that I've found having three children home, all day long, making sure they have summer fun, has drained me? It pains me to admit that, because these kids are my life and joy.

But, when I look around and see women with four and even five children, move along with effortless grace, I am overwhelmed by how hard it is for me to stay organized to make sure my kids are happy, my husband is happy, and I am happy. Inevitably, something always has to fall by the wayside, and I hate to say it, but I let it be me.

Not to mention, I've let so many household and personal things slide this summer, so I can concentrate on my writing. See, I get rather obsessed with my projects and neglect other things, like grocery shopping, regular mealtimes, getting to fun activities on time, cleaning, bedtime rituals. It shouldn't have surprised me when I found myself surrounded by family mutiny. But, also somewhat relieved because I was stressed and exhausted.

All of the sudden I realized I needed to make an adjustment to re-energize my household, my writing and most importantly, me. Oh yes, for the moment, this is all gonna be about me...and you'll soon find this is all about you, too.

So if you're a regular visitor, you may have noticed I've been a bit absent from the blogging scene for bit. As well as a few other things that have been so important to me. I needed a chance to rest, recharge and get my life in order. This has made me happier and more enthusiastic for my projects. Not to mention the family is happier.

I've mentioned before that it is so important to work toward your dreams on a regular basis. What I failed to recognize and convey to you, is how absolutely essential it also is to pay attention to your needs and your family's needs . Give yourself permission to take a break when you need it.

Your dream won't go away, it'll still be there while you rest or focus on the people who are important in your life. In fact, this may just give you the necessary chance to brainstorm or even channel your energy in a more positive way.

So go, take a well deserved break. Then come back and unleash your newfound energy and enthusiasm into your dream.

11 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Breaks are good! I'm looking forward to three weeks of changed routine (can I call that a break) while in VA in August.

P.S. Should I forward you my cleaning calendar?

HipWriterMama said...

Tricia,
Yes, I need your cleaning calendar!

Sarah Amick said...

I recently went to the beach on a family vacation and instead of taking professional books I took books for enjoyment. It was a hard choice but I found that I really had more opportunity to let my guard down. I was a lot more reflective about my teaching, it was beneficial to me. We are always better mothers, wives, etc. when we are truly happy. We are fulfilled.

Another point, you know those ladies with 4-5 kids? They have stressful moments too, they wonder at times if they were called to do this! Parenting is truly the most challenging job ever, no matter how many kids you have!

Jen Barney said...

I often wonder what my life was like before kids, blogging, work.... It has gone into that prefamily blur!!!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I'm all in favor of breaks, as you know. Just don't forget about the Carnival of Children's Literature. Rah!

Becky Levine said...

I finished the most recent, almost final draft of my manuscript three days before needing to give it to my critiquers, and five days before needing to leave for a trip. The first day, I crashed--a well-deserved, do-nothing day. After that, though, this weird vacuum-of-the-mental-state set in, where I kind of putter around, NOT doing any of the cleaning or organizing I need to do to get ready, but just sort of wandering to and fro from my computer, as though there's still something important/creative for me to be doing.

The house is certainly better than it was for the past few weeks, but I wish I'd get that surge of energy to really pull the mess together.

You're right, though. When we're writing, writing, writing, AND things start to fall apart beyond our tolerance, we HAVE to take a break and push back the tide!

B. Johansen Newman said...

HWM, I have been in what I have been calling a bluesy blahsy time. So much push and work, and now the post partum book down time. Really, I just needed time off. I feel like you have given me permission to regroup before I get embroiled in a new project.

Have a relaxing summer! They are only young for a very short period of time...

Barb

Shawn said...

Breaks are good!! Take breaks, lots of them! Remember, my 30-day challenge was more me time and I do think I'm keeping up with that. Most of the time.

Welcome back!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I think it's okay to admit that the kids drain us (in fact, I think it's SO important as moms that we share this honestly!).

I definitely feel like that at times, but when we have a nice mix of downtime and scheduling (to occupy the children), I like our relaxed slow-to-get started summer mornings.

Liz in Ink said...

Down time is key. I love summer. I really love it. And I think kids can get used to the downtime, too. It's good for all of us...

Little Willow said...

Just wanted to send you and yours some happy thoughts.