Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, July 27, 2007

Hardcover vs. Paperback vs. Audiobook vs. e-book

Okay, everyone. Jennifer got me thinking about something, which we all know can be a dangerous thing. Everyone must have a preferred medium of book.

Some people may love reading a hardcover book, crisp binding crackling with every page turn. Others love mountains of paperback books, light and easy to pack away on trips. How about the audiobooks, bringing drama and life to every word? Or what about the easily accessible e-books, like those from Project Gutenberg?

Personally, if I add a book to my personal library or give a book as a gift, I want hardcover. If I'm in the car, I enjoy listening to an audiobook CD, as long as it is entertaining. I'll read any form of book I can get, but sometimes have a problem with paperback books. Apparently, I'm unable to properly take care of a paperback book--the pages and book cover taunt me, edges curling, pages loosen--general untidiness on parade.

So, what book form do you prefer?

11 comments:

Emily said...

I definitely favor hardcovers. I love the feel of hardbacks and, of course, they last longer. Sometimes I buy the paperbacks, though, to save money.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

A while back, I decided that I'd buy hardcovers of the books I loved. This way, I reasoned, I'd slow down my book buying habits.

It worked-- a little. In looking at my bookshelves, I see that the majority of them are hardbacks. However, I like to have paperback copies on hand for lending.

eisha said...

I don't have a strong preference between hardback and paperback. But I have a hard time with audiobooks. I like them for a while, but after an hour or so they make me sleepy.

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

LOL--I'm so glad to spark some thoughts.

As I stated in the comment you referenced, I just love trade paperback. They are so smooth and matte. Also, hardcovers are too heavy and bulky for me. I like to be able to tote them around.

CookieBooky said...

I love paperbacks too. They're lightweight and easy to bring along. And the matte covers are wonderful too.

Robin Brande said...

I buy them all three ways, for different reasons. Hardcovers if I just can't wait or if I want to complete some collection (Harry Potter would be in both categories); paperbacks for travel, especially if I'm going somewhere that's rough on a book, like camping; and audio books for road trips. Right now we're listening to Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, about her family's decision to eat nothing but local food or food they've grown for an entire year. She has such a soothing voice, and the book is so persuasive about what we spend money on and put in our bodies (tomatoes out of season, for example)--that book is just making the miles fly by as we drive.

Sarah said...

Hardcovers are my personal favorite. But lugging Harry Potter to the beach with a lawn chair, towels, snacks and kids was a bit challenging. Paperback are okay if the text is big enough. I hate the romance size. Unusual shapes are always appealing to me. For some reason, square books and artwork on the cover enrich my reading experience. I'm a marketers dream.

Jules said...

I have trouble with audiobooks, too. My mind wanders, and I have to rewind or go back or whatever, depending on the medium. I guess I'm not the world's strongest audible learner (or whatever type of learner that is called).

The Estrogen Files said...

I like them all - audio books go so well with my day of cleaning, child minding, sewing, etc. I'm reading Harry Potter #7 in hardback right now (glad to see you joined the bandwagon) and some other books in softback.

Liz in Ink said...

I really am a fan of paperbacks. I feel less guilty taking them into the bathtub and folding down dog-ears...

Jen Robinson said...

Hardcovers at home, paperbacks for travel (though I do like the larger trade paperbacks over the smaller mass market paperbacks, even when traveling), and audiobooks for during walks and long car trips.