Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Great Books for Boys

I've read so many books featuring strong girl characters; it's about time I gave some attention to some great books for boys. I've been reading quite a few books about some great boy characters. I'll start off with two older books I rediscovered and will blog about some of the newer books in the next couple of weeks.

The first book featured today is Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. Perfect for boys 9-12. This classic was published in the 1970's...I even read this book back then. And it is entertaining to read as an adult.

Poor Peter. He has a three year old baby brother named Fudge, who he has to watch like a hawk to make sure his stuff isn't touched--especially his pet turtle, Dribble. I think boys will enjoy commiserating with Peter over Fudge and his neighbor, Sheila Tubman.

The next book boys will enjoy reading is How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell (son of famous artist Norman Rockwell). Another classic book from the 1970's that is perfect for boys ages 9-12. Billy makes a bet with his friends--Tom, Alan, and Joe. If he wants to win a $50 minibike, he has to eat 15 worms in 15 days. Gross, isn't it? But this book is amusing, with fun chants, disgusting worm recipes, and brilliantly plotted desperate strategies of this serious war of worm eating. Even Billy's mom plays a magnificent hand in this battle. After freaking out for a bit, she finally decides if her son has to eat worms, it might as well taste good. The coolest mom ever, in my book.

Two great books to entertain the boys--even reluctant readers.

3 comments:

MyUtopia said...

My nephew loved the How to Eat Fried worms

Jen Robinson said...

I bought Fried Worms for a six year old boy I know, and it was a huge hit. I'll have to revisit Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, which I haven't read since childhood.

Little Willow said...

I loved Tales, liked Superfudge and Fudge-a-Mania, and didn't really care for Double Fudge. I also love Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great.

Fried Worms is fun. I've read the book but haven't seen the film.Have you read the sequel? Now there's one for your gender studies...