Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Great Book for Girls

I have so many books to tell you about that I've read over the past few weeks, but sadly, I haven't been able to write everything down yet. The kids have only been out of school for a week, and even though we have things to do, clearly I didn't plan enough for all the "I'm bored" and "It's too hot" phases. Oh yeah, and all the endless bickering. I remain ever hopeful that we will glide into a smooth transition for a relaxing summer.

So, in honor of all this summer heat and humidity, I offer up a cool, refreshing read for girls 9-12. If you plan on reading this book out loud to your children, children as young as six and seven, would enjoy this book.

Introducing...The Tail of Emily Windsnap by U.K. author, Liz Kessler. Yes, it's not a typo. Tail. Not tale. If you haven't guessed by now, this is a mermaid story, perfect for mermaid wannabees ages 9-12.

Twelve year old Emily lives on a houseboat with her mom. Her mom is afraid of the water and won't let Emily learn how to swim. Her mom finally relents and Emily starts swim class. To her amazement, she is a natural at swimming but feels so uncomfortable, she doesn't want to swim again. Emily's curiousity gets the best of her, and she tries to swim near her houseboat. She gets the surprise of her life when she realizes she becomes a mermaid only when she's in the water.

Emily befriends a mermaid named Shona. Together they unravel the mystery on what happened to Emily's merman dad.

Overall, this is a charming book with some interesting adventures. If you like this book, you can continue with the next two books in the series: Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep and the most recently published Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist.

4 comments:

Liz in Ink said...

Goodie -- this looks charming and fun. Perfect for a summer roadtrip...

Sarah said...

My ten year old liked this. I read it to my eight year old. Emily is definitely a great female character!

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
Definitely a charming book. I think this one is even out in audio, although I haven't heard it.


Sara,
Thanks for visiting. Glad your children enjoyed this book.

Little Willow said...

I liked the first two and will continue to follow the series.