Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Monday, April 2, 2007

What Would You Do If You Knew You Could Not Fail?

Here's my challenge to you for this Rejection Mope-jection Monday. Think about your dreams with the key focus being: What Would You Do If You Knew You Could Not Fail? Create your own Mission Statement and be as specific as you can. Identify the who, what, where, when and how, if possible. While it's certainly easy to giggle and joke around because of your discomfort at having to identify the specifics, be serious about this. After all, this is your dream. You don't need a fairy godmother to wave her magic wand. It's all you. You will determine whether you will succeed at grabbing the star, or if you just have plain bad luck. If you'd like, share your mission statement in the comments section or just write it down and put it somewhere where you can see it on a regular basis.

The whole point of this exercise is to be able to visualize your dream so it is incredibly real to you. You can see it--even the very minute details of what is happening when you realize you have achieved your dream.

Here's my Can Do Mission Statement:
I am actively sending out my manuscripts and will have an award winning picture book and sought after YA novel sold to well respected publishing houses by the end of one year, April 2, 2008.

When you think about what you want with a positive can do attitude, and are specific to what you can envision, you are instilling this core belief into your daily actions. No matter what obstacles are thrown in your path, you will be able focus on your can do mission statement and find a way to move forward and work toward your dreams.

For anyone who is ready to write down their can do mission statement in the comment section and make yourself truly accountable to your plan of action, I'll put your name in a drawing to win one of three prizes with a couple surprise inspirational fripperies:
  1. The Success Principles: How to Get from Where you Are, to Where You Want to Be, by Jack Canfield
  2. Dear Genius: The Letters of Ursula Nordstrom, by Ursula Nordstrom
  3. Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss

Rules:

  1. Think about your dreams with the focus of What would you do if you knew you could not fail?
  2. Write down a specific can do mission statement in the comment section.
  3. Due to holidays and tax day, the deadline to post a comment is Wednesday, April 18th.
  4. Let's keep comments positive and encouraging so people feel safe posting their dreams here.
  5. Any negative comments will be deleted.

What would you do if you knew you could not fail?

21 comments:

Callipygia said...

Vivian- I love how beautifully your blog is developing- especially the evolution of rejection mope-jection. I agree with you that "naming" a specific goal can be quite difficult, Im going to start thinking of mine!

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Callipygia,
Definitely think of your goals. I'll be checking in on you to keep you on target!

Robin Brande said...

I'm a big believer in this method. I love your goal! That's totally doable. And now that you've said it out loud, you can move confidently in that direction.

Best of luck! We'll all be cheering you on!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

What I would do if I knew I could not fail: exactly what I'm doing now (getting my storytelling business up and running, exercising for health and fitness), but with some extra jolts of confidence and energy. No wait, forget about the jolts! Steady streams would be better. I don't need external validation to keep going, but I sure do like it. It's like receiving flower bouquets-- unexpected, but always appreciated.

HipWriterMama said...

Robin,
Your words mean so much. Thank you.


Alkelda the Gleeful,
Glad to see you're living your dream. As for the steady streams of confidence and energy, you'll be sure to gain that as you gain more wins and work it and visualize it. You know I'm rooting for you!

NYC Teacher said...

I am going to write a book on the importance of using writer's notebooks with your students. It's going to turn in my manuscript/proposal to a publisher by August 2008 and will have it published by 2009.

HipWriterMama said...

NYC Teacher,
Very nice mission statement. I really enjoy reading about how you're encouraging your students. Keep up the good work!

Erin said...

My statement:
I will have a novel in presentable condition for agent querying by April 3rd, 2008!

Not that I *will* query an agent - I'm not sure I'm ready for that. But right now I don't have anything I could even consider sending out....so I guess that's my goal for now. :)

HipWriterMama said...

Erin,
You definitely can do it by your deadline. Write, edit, get feedback and edit again. You can totally do it! You've got a bunch of people who will cheer you on.

Erin said...

Thanks!!

Robin Brande said...

To Erin and to all of you who are still nervous about sending things to agents: remember, the publishing industry needs writers. It's so easy to feel like everyone is doing us a favor by reading our work. But agents need writers or they won't make money. Publishers need writers or they won't make money.

So do your part by writing and then sending it out into the world. You are a key part of commerce (not to mention people's happiness by giving them new ideas and entertaining stories, etc.). Don't hold back. We need to hear what you have to say.

HipWriterMama said...

Robin,
You are SO Awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to encourage everyone. That means so much.

Erin said...

Thank you, Robin! Yeah, it does mean a lot. :)

Kelly said...

Hey Vivian:

I love this idea. And I love Erin's goals, Alkelda's and NYCTeacher's and your goals and I *heart* Robin's comments.

My goal, however, is not one I want to put out on the internets, so I'm sending you an e-mail :)

No worries, it's not anything yucky!!

nowheymama said...

What an inspiring post!

Wow - writing a deadline "out loud" is really scary, but here goes: I will continue to send out my children's picture book manuscript, and I will finish my cookbook manuscript by April 2008. ACK! Did I just type that?!?

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
That's totally cool with me. In fact, if anyone else wants to do it this way, that's okay too. Just post a comment, so I know to look for your e-mail. I'll make sure you're accountable to your mission statement.

HipWriterMama said...

nowheymama,
Welcome to the world of no returns. It's staring you in the face now, in plain black and white. I love your mission statement and you can totally do it.

And by the way, if anyone is interested in pursuing another dream other than writing, that's okay too! Join in, be inspired and we can all cheer each other on!

Jennifer said...

GULP--

It is scary to commit, but I work so well with accountability that I know this would be a great exercise for me.

I will think about it and post my goal on my blog (not just for your readers but all my readers to read as well), and then I will link back over here when it's up.

HipWriterMama said...

Jennifer,
I'm glad you're motivated to do this. It's quite empowering once you've got things in writing and decide to share it with others. Nothing like a little accountability to help you focus on what you need to do to get to where you want to go. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

I wrote out my mission statement on my blog. You can check out the whole thing there, but basically I commit to send out one query or article a week in order to gain the publishing experience I need to be ready to work on a non-fiction book proposal by April 2008.

This was really a great process. Thanks, HWM.

HipWriterMama said...

Very nice mission statement Jennifer! Congrats on getting this together and good luck!