Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Saturday Wanderings

I am in total peace right now, despite a raging headache. My dear husband has taken the children off on a seashore adventure. I am left with some quiet and so much to do.

I must say, this was a relatively tough week. There was so much sadness and contemplation. So it was nice to be able to visit Robin Brande for a much needed dose of The Friday List (nice things you did for yourself this week). I thought I'd need to pull at straws to find something nice I did for myself, but there was much to be happy for.

A Wrung Sponge and 7-Imp have tributes for Poetry Friday about praying for hope for the students at Virginia Tech and links to the text and video for Nikki Giovanni's Convocation Address.

The links below, courtesy of The New York Times, share a little bit about the beautiful young individuals that lost their lives last week at Virginia Tech. May God bless them and watch over their families as they try to find hope in their grief and loss.

Ross Abdallah Alameddine
Jamie Bishop
Brian Bluhm
Ryan Clark
Austin Cloyd
Jocelyne Couture-Nowak
Kevin P. Granata
Matthew Gwaltney
Caitlin Hammaren
Jeremy Herbstritt
Rachael Elizabeth Hill
Emily Jane Hilscher
Matthew Joseph La Porte
Jarrett Lane
Henry J. Lee
Liviu Librescu
G.V. Loganathan
Partahi Lumbantoruan
Lauren Ashley McCain
Daniel Patrick O'Neil
Juan Ramon Ortiz
Minal Hiralal Panchal
Erin Nicole Peterson
Daniel Perez (Daniel Perez Cueva)
Michael Steven Pohle, Jr.
Julia Pryde
Mary Karen Read
Reema Samaha
Waleed Shaalan
Leslie Geraldine Sherman
Maxine Turner
Nicole Regina White

Cho's family issued a statement full of grief and agony over the Virginia Tech horror. The Daily Kos: State of the Nation asks people to include Cho's family in their thoughts and prayers. I agree with this one, his family are victims in this as well. They are reeling from the horror of this tragedy and have much guilt, grief and shame to overcome. Please, let's be respectful of them. Not only have they lost a family member; they now have the weight of the Virginia Tech tragedy on their shoulders.

Korean Americans have been so upset about this tragedy, they have been apologizing for Cho's act of horrendous violence, and worried about the repercussions. Author Jenny Han, one of The Longstockings, asks Why? Here are two blogs I discovered (Thanks Dad!) of Americans who are living in Korea and their take on things: The Marmot's Hole has a post which is updated with new information regarding the shooting at Virginia Tech and the reactions from Koreans. Scribblings of the Metropolitician has interesting posts. He's an American expat living in Korea, is half Korean, but...is he for Korea or against? One particular post I found intriguing is Who Is This Guy? which explains why he writes the way he writes.

It has been written that Cho emulated a horror film. Cho's English professors, one which was Nikki Giovanni, banned him from their classes because of his disturbed writing. Clearly writing is subjective. What one person considers to be disturbed writing will be another person's form creative expression. Which led me to wonder When Is Writing Considered to Be Warped?

This has been such a sad time. There are so many questions. Very few answers. So much promise lost. So much grief and anguish to absorb. I hope we don't ever see this again. Ever.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I have to admit I feel so bad for Cho's family. They are also victims and it is important to remember that. They are in my thoughts.

The race issue has been surprisng to me in this incident. It's as if the media are saying, "hey, it's not a white guy this time--what can we come up with?"

I hate to say, and I hope I will not be stoned for this, but I see this more as a natural disaster. Like a tornado or a hurricane hit campus. True, it was an individual, but a damaged one. An individual you could not fix in time. He needed serious help. Years of help. But, as in most serious cases, no one recognized that he needed help. That doesn't mean anyone is to blame--some mental illnesses are so hard to recognize.

HipWriterMama said...

Kelly,
That's so nicely said. Thanks.