Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, April 27, 2007

Poetry Friday: Writing Time--Time to Make the Donuts

Here's a lovely poem by William Wordsworth to get me thinking. Cloudscome is hosting Poetry Friday today. Go on over, leave a comment with your poetry submission, and check out some wonderful poetry.

Most Sweet It Is
by William Wordsworth

Most sweet it is with unuplifted eyes
To pace the ground, if path be there or none,
While a fair region round the traveller lies
Which he forbears again to look upon;
Pleased rather with some soft ideal scene,
The work of Fancy, or some happy tone
Of meditation, slipping in between
The beauty coming and the beauty gone.
If Thought and Love desert us, from that day
Let us break off all commerce with the Muse:
With Thought and Love companions of our way,
Whate'er the senses take or may refuse,
The Mind's internal heaven shall shed her dews
Of inspiration on the humblest lay.

When I was little, I was quite amused by the Dunkin Donuts TV commercials. I really can't remember much about the commercials except for the fact the donut man would always get up early, and repeat in a monotone voice, "Time to make the donuts." And no matter what the circumstance, the donut man would get to the bakery to make donuts because he clearly loved to do so. He was committed to the process and wanted to make those donuts. No matter what.

At least this is how I remember the commercial. Commitment to a project and the willingness to make the time to write are some obvious things that are required for success as a writer. But as we all know...Stuff happens. We might be tired, we might have lost our creative flow, or perhaps, we were sucked into Procrastination City. There also may be other pressing things in our lives that require constant attention.

The thing is, okay, this is what I personally believe, we gotta get through this muck and commit to the time, the project, the dream. It can sure be hard going. Many people have full time jobs, have kids, or have other responsibilities they need to juggle. But they still find the time, and are committed to making their dream happen.

I need long stretches of time to get my best writing done. I can think, edit, research, and make my notes. There is no way I can concentrate on my writing when the kids or my husband (I work for him part-time...) require my full attention, so most of my writing is done when the kids are fast asleep. Sure, I can write in the scraps of time I can find throughout the day, but I need to juggle around stuff and kids. I find it difficult to get back to the bits and pieces I've worked on. So I adapted. And that doesn't bother me, because I'd rather have the the time I need to work on my stuff.

What do you do to make the time?

Quick Note: Come back this Monday, April 30th, to read my interview with first time author Dominique Paul, author of The Possibility of Fireflies. Find out her tips for writers and screenwriters. And be inspired by her journey on how she wrote her first book, the screenplay for her movie and her new career as Director for her movie.

5 comments:

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thank you for this poem. In some ways, it reminds me of Richard Wilbur's "Love Calls Us to the Things of This World."

By the way, you weren't seeing things on my blogger comments. I wrote out an explanation in response. You wouldn't know it by the look of my desk, but I like it when things are tidy. Whenever a spam comment comes through on my blog, I delete it. Deleted comments are also deleted. It just looks tidier that way. But I DID get your original comment in my inbox. Thanks so much! I also appended the photo-- sometimes the only way to tell my photos from Lucia's is the length of hair and the light from aged photographs.

In response to the question, "What do you do to make the time?" I let certain tasks go to focus on other ones. I tried meal-planning for two weeks, and for two weeks, I had dinner on the table... and nothing else. If I work on guitar for awhile, it means I have to put away the sewing. If I work in the garden, I often don't get to guitar practice.

I also have just one child, and she's fairly tolerant (in phases) of my projects. I can actually sew with her around, and though she may walk on the fabric and insist upon using the hem gauge as a "plank" for her dollies to walk across, I can usually get a project done.

HipWriterMama said...

Alkelda the Gleeful--
Projects definitely have a way of taking the time from other things. But at long as we do something and do it well, that should account for something. Right?

eisha said...

Oh, I only WISH I could figure out how to find the time to do what needs to be done, and what I WANT to do. What I tend to do is bury my nose in a book and put off everything else...

Lovely poem, by the way.

Liz in Ink said...

What a great riff. I so relate, Vivian...
I am getting better, I think, at saying yes and no to the right stuff. And as the girls get older, time and space tends to be more elastic. I find we can work with and around each other in a way that didn't work when they were wee...

HipWriterMama said...

Eisha-
It is tough, isn't it? Especially when there are kids depending on you. But there's hope.


Liz,
I so agree. As the kids get older, it definitely gets easier. Now I find my kids can entertain themselves and understand I need my space too. Usually.