Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Friday, April 6, 2007

Poetry Friday: A Salute to Shel Silverstein

I discovered Shel Silverstein about eleven years ago...from...two of my nephews. My nephews loved Shel Silverstein's books. From Where the Sidewalk Ends to The Giving Tree to Falling Up, these little guys were the ones who taught me how wonderful poetry can be. Now it's my turn to share these great poems with my little ones. So this original salute to Shel is dedicated to my grown up college boys B & B.

A Salute to Shel Silverstein
by HipWriterMama

You can celebrate National Poetry Month in so many ways,
there's no right way or wrong way, just do it today!
Pull up a chair and stay here awhile,
as I share with you, enlighten you, about poetry I love.

A non-poet I am, I must truly confess,
sometimes sweet lovely poetry is not always my thing.
My eyes glaze right over, I stifle a yawn,
but read it I must for life's truth can be found!

But then I found Shel
and his poems made me think.
Poems can be fun and wacky,
thoughtful and light!

Shel Silverstein is a poet I admire alot,
He lets me dream and imagine, and just have real fun!
Shel's colorful drawings, quite expressive I'd say.
Very cool magic for simple black and white.

Young kids and old
will just smile and cackle.
They'll discover some new things
to discuss with each other.

For instance, instead of begging your children to clean,
calm down, relax and recite some neat poems.
Tell your kids, Oh No! you don't have to pick toys up.
Snarl and growl about the The Toy Eater.
And stifle a giggle and jiggle your butt.

Or shake things up
and trick your kids,
"Who wants a Cheap Rhinoceros?"
And all they asked for was a cute little pet!

When your child is sad and can't find The Missing Piece to herself.
Sometimes hearing this thoughtful poem will help her think of a way.
Open your mind,and explore a New World,
just remember to leave the nasty Whatifs right outside the door.

Here's where my salute ends to cool, hip Shel.
Go find his wondrous books to read out loud,
Or celebrate National Poetry Month and teach some great kids.
Or listen to Shel's Underwater Land if you'd rather dance and sing.

No matter what you end up deciding to do,
there's a world of neat poems you'll find to explore.
Thanks B &B for sharing dear Shel.
Who knew there were countless ways to enjoy poetry, love poetry, and reading it loud!

Kelly is organizing Poetry Friday Roundup!

9 comments:

Liz in Ink said...

You are so funny, Vivian. I love this. And now I've got Sister For Sale, Sister For Sale stuck in my head...

HipWriterMama said...

Liz,
That poem is too funny. One crying and spying young sister for sale!

Happy Birthday!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for the Shel Silverstein tribute! I have enjoyed all of his books except for The Giving Tree (which is going to be the next installment of my "Children's Books that Never Were" project). Uncle Shelby's ABZs was a particular favorite of mine, as well as the poem, Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out.

Elaine Magliaro said...

Vivian,

I taught elementary school for many years. My students always loved Silverstein's poetry.

Alkelda, I'm with you on THE GIVING TREE! "Sarah Cynthia..." was one of my favorites, too.

HipWriterMama said...

Alkelda the Gleeful,
I can't wait to see what you put together. I know, The Giving Tree is totally my least favorite. I actually haven't read this one to my kids just because I think the selfish boy in the book just kept asking for things.

Have a great weekend!

HipWriterMama said...

Elaine,
You magically appeared! Yes, Sarah Cynthia is a funny poem. I'm thinking it might be a good one to hang by the trash can.

Have a great weekend.

Susan said...

Vivian, we love Shel, too, while also avoiding The Giving Tree. I found a brand-new copy of the 30th edition of "Where the Sidewalk Ends" at a thrift store; it was only a couple of dollars!

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I couldn't wait for next week. Here is the "Misgiving Tree."

HipWriterMama said...

Susan,
You're so lucky! Don't you just love it when that happens?


Alkelda the Gleeful,
Loved your spin to the Misgiving Tree. Very amusing. I've got an idea for a book, but it has to wait.