Welcome!


Thanks so much for visiting HipWriterMama, my blog about children's books, authors and readergirlz!

It's time for a change. I've decided to focus my attention on my writing blog, www.vivianleemahoney.com. Hope to see you there!

Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2007

50 Things

First of all, I have to tell you, I gave myself fifteen minutes to write this post. Gotta finish these darn taxes. Today. That's the only way I'll be able to treat myself to a trip to Jordan's Furniture. Where there are many rooms of furniture, just waiting to be hand selected by me. And if I buy a much needed sofa by Monday, April 16th, and if the Boston Red Sox win the 2007 Major League Baseball World Series, I am in for a treat with a rebate. That would just be too cool. The Boston Red Sox winning. A nice leather sofa. I would be so happy.

But right now, I am in an overwhelmed state of mind. Because I'm a bit of a procrastinator when I really don't enjoy a project at hand. Like my taxes. Which should have been organized quite a long time ago. Like by the end of last year. Or if I had a great system, it would have been done throughout the year, so there would be nary a sweat on my brow. Or if I applied Robin Brande's Great DeCluttering Experiment to this sordid topic, I would be so completely done. But I didn't. And am berating myself.

But. I remembered Robin's recent post where she shares this article from Real Simple that challenges you to Declutter Your Mind and Think Clearly. 50 Things. 50 Things! Out of your mind and out of your life. And I thought, now I am going to go out of my mind. Then I read the article more carefully, and realized you can combine your house clutter and your mind clutter to equal those 50 Things. But you have to write everything down, so you have a record to celebrate the clutter you threw out.

In some ways, I relish this process because I am a person who loves organization. My friends may snicker because I am perhaps the most disorganized person alive. Truly though, when everything has a place and things are neat and organized, I can think clearly, relax and write. When things are a mess and all over the place, I can't think and it really creates a havoc of its own.

And this mental clutter, which works in mysterious ways to stop me from moving towards my dreams...well, it really does have to be given the boot, doesn't it? So, I figure I just need an adjustment of my attitude. Here are just a few things:

1. I'm gonna be grateful I found my two missing eyeglass lenses. Okay, this is where I found something because I decluttered.
2. Life would not be better if I were taller. I'm just the right height.
3. I am going to schedule regular times to write in the daytime. Because I deserve it. Not just in the night hours when the kiddies are asleep.
4. I don't have to continue working and repacking everything from the diningroom table everyday. I will create my own little workspace where I can organize and write by the end of May.
5. I'm not gonna beat myself over things I didn't do. I'll do it differently next time.
6. I can and I will. Because I can.

Okay, this took a little longer than fifteen minutes. But I feel so much better. Back to work.

11 comments:

Robin Brande said...

Great list, but I especially love #2!

PJ Hoover said...

It sounds like you've been reading The Secret!
Great post!
There's nothing like a huge Goodwill run to clear your mind and free yourself so you can focus on the important things in life.
Give until it hurts. And then it won't anymore :)

HipWriterMama said...

Thanks Robin. I love your list too. I'm glad you redefined this article too. Makes it more manageable, doesn't it?



PJ,
Thanks for visiting. I've never heard of The Secret. Who wrote this one? Yes, free myself...this will be a fun project.

PJ Hoover said...

It's a fantastic book. I think Oprah had the author Rhonda Byrne on her show.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Rhonda-Byrne/dp/1582701709/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4340274-9606265?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176395831&sr=1-1

Kelly said...

Love the list, Vivian!!

HipWriterMama said...

Thank you PJ for the link to the book.


Kelly, Thanks!

Callipygia said...

HipWriterMama- It is interesting to hear you say that you love organization and with it you are able to hone your energy towards your writing. Perhaps this process is about learning to allow that love in and enjoy clarity of mind and the writing that goes with it.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Regarding taxes... it was in our oral prenup that I would pay the monthly bills and Bede would pay the yearly bills. Yesterday evening, he told me that he'd broken the key to the strongbox that has our papers. He's heading over to the locksmith this morning. Sigh. The things we inadvertently do to avoid taxes.

On the upside, I've been decluttering our garden. Out, out, damn weeds!

Nancy said...

Great list! I especially like the "I'll do it better next time" bit.

Mary Lee said...

I never saw the point in doing taxes all organized and the minute after I got my w-2 forms. I sent the federals in on Wednesday and finished the state ones up yesterday. Plenty of time. No sweat.

I also stubbornly continue to to the taxes myself. I'm of the opinion that a person with good basic math skills and an MA in Children's Lit. should be smart enough to master income taxes. (I'll get back to you on that one if I'm ever audited!!!)

Jennifer said...

I love getting rid of mental clutter and physical clutter that is causing mental clutter, but I, too, am not one of those born organized people. I think that I am taking babysteps closer, because I honestly just want to throw everything away sometimes.